I managed to make a pretty good start on the "Other Cavalry" this evening - all 48 horses have received their basecoat and their washes. At this point, I must admit that some look better than others - hopefully the end stage washes will bring them together more. Manes, tails, markings and horse-tack are on the cards for tomorrow.
I did remember to take some pics as I was going this evening, so here they are:
Bottom Pic: same horses with Black, Earth Brown and Rust ink washes*
*washes made up using the Les Burley recipe:
Wash Base = 50% fluid matte medium, 5% flow aid, water;
Washes = 20+ drops acrylic ink in 10 ml Wash Base
Bottom pic: same horses with flesh-mix, Earth Brown and Rust ink washes
Bottom pic: same horses with Warm Grey ink wash (you can actually see the difference in RL!!)
Bottom pic: same horses with Black ink wash
Bottom pic: as above with ink washes: A = Rust; B = Golden Sand**; C = flesh-mix; D = Earth Brown
**I really don't think this one worked - I'll probably go over these with the other 3 washes.if I still don't like the effect in a couple of days time.
Given how much I'd been dreading the prospect of painting horses, I am pleased to report that they aren't nearly as bad to do as I'd been led to believe. That may well be due to the method I'm using, nicked from Simon MacDowall's website.
- London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
- A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).