About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday, 5 January 2012

Sarmatians - progress report

I didn't get anything done on the Sarmatians yesterday, but that doesn't mean I was slacking. I did make up new batches of "wash base" and flow aid, as well as a slightly weaker batch of black wash. After that I finally got round to repainting some adobe/desert dwellings from The Scene - paints used were B&Q "Cappucino" matt emulsion, drybrushed with two gradually lighter mixes of Cappucino with Reeves white craft acrylic. Finally, I sorted out the different paints I'd be using for various bits of the Sarmatians (why did I have to go and pick an irregular army? Sooooo many different colours. Next time I'll go for a more uniformed army, like the Romans).

Today I actually made a start on painting my first battle group of armoured lancers. I've got about 2/3 of the way through - just some belts, skin and horse ears, tails, lower legs and muzzles to do, followed by a wash after doing any touch-ups needed. Hopefully they'll be done in time for me to get some pre-basing pics taken to post here tomorrow night.

I was trying out a wet palette I'd bought, but it seems to dry out very quickly - I might need to put more of the blotting paper layers in next time.

Looking at what I've done today, I think I may change the process for the rest of the army, by reducing the number of colours used and by doing several battle groups at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment