About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Tuesday 1 June 2021

Palming Off Any Old Rubbish On You


 ...or "Look at all these cheapo plastic palm trees all tarted up!". That's eighty-three palm trees and twenty bottle palms all finished.

Sunday afternoon was mostly spent finding things and getting ready for a big, multi-day session of tree-work. 

The first job was to dunk the deciduous and conifer trees. I'd made up about a litre of scenic cement (10% acrylic matte medium) in a jug. Each tree was then dipped into the jug for a few seconds, then shaken lightly before attaching it to my "drip-dry device":


I left them for a few hours for the excess to drip off, before taking them off the pegs and allowing them to dry overnight. I managed to get all of the trees done in two batches on Sunday.

Yesterday was mostly about spraying things. Actually, I think it was only about spraying things - there were that many bits of palm tree foliage to spray! Well, not just spraying - I also attached the sprayed foliage to the various trees.

In case you are wondering - Army Painter Goblin Green and Halfords Camo Green are the spray paints I used.

Today saw a bit more spraying - the bottle palms - and lots of drybrushing. The palm foliage was drybrushed with various green shades, then all had a final light drybrush of Vallejo Yellow Green.





Tomorrow I will be working on the deciduous and conifer trees to tart up the foliage. This afternoon, the scenic cement having had plenty of time to dry, I gave them all a sealing coat of spray varnish. Once they are done, I will be able to take a break from trees and work on other jungle foliage.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic work on all the trees Tamsin, they may have started as cheap palm trees but the work you've done on them has really elevated the pieces

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Tamsin,

    Wow! I have to say they look really impressive! How are you looking to base them?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work as ever!, I think those combine excellent look with functional playability, at least putting your hand between them to move figures will not damage all your lovely handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look terrific and certainly reward the work you put in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a quality level on so many items. A lot of good looking games in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking great Tamsin, I did some a while ago but didn't put as much effort as you have done into them. One thing I found was that the paint tends to flake off even after undercoating, painting and varnishing. The other thing is the amount of storage space they take up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Dave Stone - thanks! Now I've just got all the other vegetation to do! :)

    @ Norm - cheers! :)

    @ David C - thanks! I'll be doing a mix of small, removable bases with a couple of trees that I can slot into some larger bases (for easier transport to the club) and some on larger bases for my "home" set. :)

    @ Ray - cheer, m'dear! :)

    @ Herkybird - thanks! :)

    @ Paul - cheers! :)

    @ Pancerni - thanks! :)

    @ Geoff - cheers! Paint flaking off these over time will be an issue, but one that is easily made good. Storage is another matter entirely... :)

    ReplyDelete