About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 4 June 2021

Friday Update 04 June

 I've had a busy day for receiving goodies. Some more more palm trees arrived:


These aren't the ones that were missing from the delivery I had on Wednesday; they were mixed packs I'd ordered from another Ebay seller. By the time I took the photo, I'd already sorted them into bags by size.

I also received some other things:

Bamboo and a Sarissa package


You might be wondering why they are on top of a pillow. Well, you see...

... I realised I was going to need some clump foliage for filling out the jungle terrain. Rather than buying packs of pre-made stuff, I decided it was time to have a go at making my own. I made up one batch but as I was working the paint in something seemed wrong. On checking a video tutorial I understood my mistake - I should have shredded the foam a lot smaller than I had. So, I grabbed some more foam and went to shred that. However, my kitchen mini-chopper wasn't up to the job  so I went out and bought a proper blender. That worked quite well once I remembered to add some water. The downside, obviously, is that the shredded foam is then wet and needs to be dried out. The easiest way I could think of was to stuff the damp shredded foam into a pillow case and lay it out to dry overnight.

This morning, when it was dry, I tipped the foam into a 9L Really Useful Box:


That is how much I got from these:


Back to the first batch. I had spread the pieces out to dry on my workbench last night:


This afternoon I shredded it in the blender (which leached some of the excess paint into the water). I did two passes, thinking to get the foam shredded to coarse flock size. This is how much is left when you blitz it down very small:


I've covered it with some greaseproof paper and added some weight on top:


The weight should compress the foam which will help to stick the pieces together into clumps.

Tomorrow I will be doing some test batches with the foam I shredded properly, using these paints:



I'll also do a test batch with the paint I used for my first batch (Wilko "Urban Jungle"). I suspect that a couple of the colours might need a bit of brown paint added. I'll report back tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Nice little haul Tamsin, and great approach to the clump foliage, shall watch with interest as to how this turns out

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting project! - I look forward to see how the pillow bits work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very industrious with the homemade clump foliage. Interested to see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dave - I'm certainly interested to see how it works out, especially as I am trying the paint-but-no-PVA method with these batches. I suspect that I might need to go back in and add some PVA to help the clumping. :)

    @ Herkybird - I'm interested too! :)

    @ Lee - I think we're all interested to see how things pan out! :)

    ReplyDelete