About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 22 October 2022

Paint Table Saturday 22 October 2022

 


My trip down to Sussex didn't come off. It was for a funeral and there were likely to be vulnerable people there, so on Thursday morning (just after packing for the trip) I thought I'd better do a lateral flow test as I'd had cold-like symptoms for a couple of days. It was positive. I suspect I picked it up at SELWG.

With my trip off, on Thursday I took photos of the SYW Russians (they are for a new edition of the King of the Battlefield rules). Once those had been processed, I had a think about what I wanted to do next. In the end I decided that this would be a good time to do some tests on the scrap pieces from the Type S Scout - I'm thinking of painting the hull with Vallejo's colour -shift paints. 

One of the large panels got sanded with 120 and 180 grit blocks. Both were then spray primed, lightly sanded, spray primed again followed by using the back of a craft knife blade to redefine the panel lines.

Yesterday I primed them black with the airbrush and gave them a gloss coat of Klear. That was when I had another thought - how would the pieces look without any sanding? So, I grabbed the nose piece, spray primed it, black primed it and glossed one of the primed faces - you're meant to apply the colour shift paints over gloss black, but I wanted to see how they'd come out over matt black as well.

Today I used the airbrush to apply two thin coats of the colour shift paint. I was pleasantly surprised with the effect. It seems to have worked just as well over the matt black as over the gloss.



The effect looks much better in real life than in the photos, but I think you can see the shift from violet to a red-ish hue.


3D Printing

I was also able to get a few more things printed. The purple items at the top, some benches and up-sized pool tables finished off the spool I'd been having problems with. Unfortunately it seems that I messed up on the re-scaling and they aren't quite wide enough.

Today I put on a spool from a different filament manufacturer. As it's a brand I haven't used before, I decided to do a full battery of test prints to see how it compares. So far, it seems to print much better. It's also not tangled, so I can put long prints on and leave them running unattended without worry. Since finishing those test, I've been printing some extra "bitz". I'll start doing some longer prints tomorrow to see how they come out with this filament.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you get over the Covid quickly Tamsin, and good thinking doing a test with vulnerable people being there.
    The colour shift paint looks interesting, so will follow this with interest, and more printing to look forward to as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I tested negative this morning, and I've been feeling fine since Saturday night.
      That's it on the colour shift paint for now, unless I use it on one of my 1:270 scale test ships. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope the covid is mild and ends up being nothing for you in the long run. I was as surprised as you the first time I tried those color-shift paints. They work amazingly well to the point where I find myself looking for opportunities to use them. For what it's worth, they go on equally well via brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very mild - just cold symptoms really - and I've tested negative today.
      My plan is to use the colour shift paint when I do my Type S this winter.

      Delete
  3. Yep, I work at the North East's Covid hospital and it sounds like typical BA:5 variant. Hope you are - and stay, mildly symptomatic and get a negative lateral flow after about 8 days.
    Glad you are keeping busy on your star fleet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My symptoms have been very mild and I actually tested negative this morning. If I hadn't been going to that funeral, I wouldn't have tested and wouldn't have known.

      Delete