About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 19 February 2022

Paint Table Saturday 19 February 2022

 


The basing on the final (for now) WW2 Japanese figures is finished, but I haven't taken photos yet as the Chi-Ha tank still needs a little work.

This morning I started weathering it. For the first step, I decided to try using oil-dot filters. Having learnt some things I'd done wrong on the house, I duly prepared a bunch of slightly thinned oil paints in a palette:


I then began the process of weathering the tank:

Before

Oil dots applied

After

The photos above show the first area I did. I then continued the process over the rest of the tank.

The only problem was that the process managed to drag paint into some of the panel lines, so I had to wait a while until the paint had dried, then give it a a coat of varnish before re-doing the panel lining (the intro photo shows me set up to do that). I've now got to leave it until tomorrow before re-varnishing the tank ahead of further weathering with pigment powders.

As I didn't want to waste the afternoon, I decided to see if my airbrush primers would work on the MDF buildings. I selected one to do as a colour test and a small piece to look at different primers for zenithal pre-shading.


Primer colours left-to-right: Black, Panzer Grey, US Light Ghost Grey, Grey, White,US Light Ghost Grey.

There isn't much difference between the Black and Panzer Grey; the difference between Grey and White isn't much either. I think the best scheme for zenithal pre-shading will be Black -> Ghost Grey -> White.

The building you can see in the intro photo was done Black -> Grey -> White. Tomorrow, once I've finished the tank, taken photos of the Japanese and written the submission, I will test out a colour scheme or two on it using the airbrush.


I got some shinies from North Star in the post on Thursday:


The last figure I need for the "secret project" and the first few figures for a late war German platoon. I added a pack of the "Winter" figures as well, to see how they would mix with the smocked figures. IT turns out that they do work quite well. I've also been able to ascertain what extra figures I'll need for a platoon plus an extra section - for the latter I will probably use greatcoat figures.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting technique on the tank Tamsin, shame it messed up the line work, but if you can fix it I'm sure you will get it done. Nice little haul, and look forward to how the work on the Sci-Fi scenery goes, not going to acknowledge the secret project anymore, until it gets shown ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it done on 1/35 scale models, and thought there's no reason (with a little care) that it shouldn't work for 1/56 scale. I think I sued too many dots of the dark paints though - I may go back for a second pass with just the lighter colours at some point. :)

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain with the line problem, but I have faith you will work it out well!
    I love the Star Wars power generator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relatively easy fix, I just had to wait a few hours before varnishing so I could redo the panel lines. :)

      Delete