About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 5 February 2022

Paint Table Saturday 05 February 2022

As you can probably tell, I decided not to do a test-paint of the sci-fi buildings after finishing the WW2 Japanese batch. I photographed those and submitted the post on Thursday, then looked at what else was coming up in the queue and decided to shift to WW2 British Airborne. 

A while ago I bought the HQ group from Artizan along with a pack of seated paras. I decided to make up a diorama base to show them off. I got the building mostly painted on Thursday, then did some initial weathering yesterday. I also sorted out a terrain base for it to go on and thought that it might be fun to add dugout in a small bank nearby - I cut that from some blue XPS foam. I then spent a while cutting up coffee stirrers to make "planks" to line the inside. 


The darker sections of ground are where I had initially placed XPS shapes but removed them after deciding the rubble piles would be easier to make by a different method.

I also started on a roof for the dugout using some longer "planks" and some of the corrugated card "wrinkly tin" pieces I'd cut out when I was doing the jungle buildings last year. I also thought it might be handy to have some crates scattered around, so I dragged out the pack I bought from Debris of War at Salute. Those got primed today, before  a wash with Agrax Earthshade followed by drybrushing.


Of course, an HQ and dugout need sandbags and a ruined building needs rubble. To that end I got out my pack of terracotta Milliput and some Das air drying clay. I started making sandbags with Milliput until I realised that with the number I would need that it might be better to switch to white Das clay. I also wanted to make some brick rubble, so I first flattened out the rest of the Milliput and applied a brick texture roller. That didn't look like it would produce enough bricks, so I also rolled out some terracotta Das clay and textured that as well. After the texture rolling, I scored along the brick courses to make them easier to break apart when they had cured.


Clockwise, beginning top left: sandbags; individual Milliput bricks; individual Das bricks; "blocks" of Das bricks.

I'll do a bit more work on the diorama base tomorrow, probably adding the rubble and sandbags, then on Monday I will switch to painting the British Airborne figures.

10 comments:

  1. Ah Das Pronto, many things have I made with that stuff!
    I am looking forward to seeing your 'Red Berets'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those fun products to use for things! :)

      As for the maroon mafia, you'll need to wait a week to see them! :)

      Delete
  2. Great progress on the diorama Tamsin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making bricks. That's real dedication right there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought of making bricks the traditional way! That's very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they traditionally made bricks using a texture roller! lol

      The method does work, but it's quite a bit of boring effort.

      Delete