About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break. My current interests are Ancients, ACW, 30YW and SciFi gaming.

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

25K hits!; On The Workbench

By the time this gets posted I should have had the 25,000 page views (hit counter was at 24,997 when I started typing). I wasn't expecting to get there for a day or two, but I should have realised the prize draw would bump things.

So, what's On The Workbench?

Well, the Vikings are still in WIP-state. Luckily when I got home this evening it was warm and dry, so the windows are opened wide to give ventilation and I've done the matt varnish spray. All that's left to do is the basing. Rather than using my normal "gunk", I will probably use the gravel/ore/sand mix I used on the terrain board to provide the texture - I'll glue down larger "rocks" first. I should get the texture done this evening, then I'll need to go over it with paint. I doubt I'll get to the flocking stage tonight.



On Monday night I did a little bit of figure prep - 8 mounted crossbowmen from my Original Secret Project.

I think the cat is out of the bag now anyway, so I'll scrap the secrecy - it's the start of my own medieval Swiss army. Waiting in the wings are some pikemen, halberdiers, handgunners and crossbowmen (enough to use as Swiss Allies for another medieval army - I'll see how I get on with these before I order any more) along with a few armed peasants (to be used as "Enfants Perdu") and some other figures that I'm going to keep under wraps for now - I don't want to give the game away in case any of my opponents in the club tournament are reading, but they will be the next ones to get prepped and painted once the mounted crossbowmen are done.

After prepping the mounted crossbowmen, they joined 24 30YW harquebusiers/reiters that I'd prepped a few weeks ago for a warm soapy wash overnight, then yesterday morning I put them out to dry. In the evening I glued the horses onto painting sticks (30YW) or bases (the crossbows). As the crossbowmen are light horse I've decided to try painting them "in situ" as that should save me a little time later on. Once the PVA had set, I superglued the riders onto the horses, let the superglue cure for a couple of hours then primed the figures with grey gesso. I won't be able to start painting them tonight as the gesso needs at least 24 hours to fully cure.




I've finished "Death of Kings" now, so expect a book review in a day or two. For now, let's just say it's a cracking read and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.

Tomorrow night I'll be at the club for a multi-player Saga game, so the chances are that I won't get any painting done until Friday.


3 comments:

  1. Well done Tamsin quite a following in such a small space of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done indeed and thanks for supporting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff all round Tamsin. I think I have read the book but I will still enjoy your review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...