About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 11 September 2022

Paint Table Sunday 11 September 2022


 I have made progress on the figures you saw on my workbench last Saturday. Not as much as I'd have liked because, you guessed it, I managed to distract myself...again. There's actually not much left to do on these - paint the base, add the camo dots, paint the metals and a couple of details and varnish them. They should be done before Wednesday.


3D Printing

The distraction

In my last post I mentioned that I plan, at some point, to print a full sized (OK, scaled down a bit to fit on my printer) Judge Dredd helmet. Well, I decided to do a test print of a half-size helmet to see how it would look. I opted to print it upside down as that would require much less support material.



I spent ages trying to get the support material off, but what remains seems to be permanently fused. So, I decided to do some more tests prints on even smaller versions to hone in my support settings. I thought I had them honed in, and printed another half-size helmet:


Better, but still an awful lot of fused material - I think the extra weight compared to the smaller tests was the problem. Cue a few more tests before I decided to see how well it would print in the normal orientation rather than upside down:


Left - printed without dome support
Right - printed with some dome support

The one printed with some dome support (support angle threshold set at 70 degrees) came out very clean where the support was, but around it there was some sagging - I think I need to set the threshold at 60 degrees. Or just not worry as  it won't be seen...

Of course, the lesson here is that I could have just printed the helmet upright and the material wasted on supports would have been much less than what I ended up using on all the test pieces! Now I just have to hope that, when I finally print it, the scaled down version will fit my head. If it doesn't it will just have to be an ornament.


Traveller Ships


With all that going on, I also managed to print another three 1:270 scale Traveller ships - an Armed Packet, another Type S Scout/Courier and a Vargr Corsair.

While printing these (and the helmets) I noticed that I was getting a lot of bad stringing. I knew that one possible cause was a worn out nozzle (replacing the current one was already on my to-do list) so I bit the bullet and replaced it. I also decided to replace the PTFE tube inside the heat break - I'm glad I did, as it highlighted a problem I hadn't been aware of:


It seems that the PTFE tube inside the hot end was slightly too short and there had been a small gap between the end and the nozzle. Over time, that had filled up with filament which had burned and crept up inside the hot end. Getting the white PTFE tube out was a job and a half and I knew I'd have to ream out the bore. After about an hour of twisting increasing sizes of drill bits I'd got all of the caked material out and the new PTFE (blue "Capricorn" high temp stuff) could go all the way through. With that done, I was able to fit the new nozzle.

However, I was still getting really bad stringing. I've spent several hours yesterday and today printing out small test pieces to see if changing my retraction settings might help. I got variable results. I finally concluded that it must be a problem with the filament - I suspect it might not be as dry as it should be. So, I switched out the grey for a new spool of purple and ran a test print to compare against a similar print I'd done on Saturday with the grey:


It's definitely an issue with the grey filament. I'm going to buy a filament dryer to see if that helps as I like the grey for prints as it's good for taking photographs of models.


12 comments:

  1. Nice progress on the painting Tamsin, and enjoy following along with your 3D printing endeavours, hopefully one day I will get round to doing some, and all your pointers will prove really useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's the first real problem I've had with the printer that wasn't down to me! :)

      Delete
  2. You are definitely helping me stay away from 3D printers currently, Tamsin. LOL!! They sound like an entire hobby in their own right. Your stuff looks awesome when they turn out correct, but all the repairs/replacements and resetting of settings sound nightmarish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can eat up a lot of time when you are learning how to use them, particularly with brand new models like mine was when I bought it. :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting learning curve on the printer, it is really helpful that you are sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely not at the "consumer appliance" stage yet, but they are currently much better than they were 2, 3, 4... years ago as there is a a much larger community of people using them. :)

      Delete
  4. I, too am glad I don't have the problems you have, but at the end I don't doubt you will have some fantastic printing skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, most of my previous issues can be traced back to me being an idiot so it was nice for this to be something not down to me! :)

      Delete
  5. Such a journey to become skilled at 3d printing! You do get some great items, love the spaceships. Good luck with the printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend going to some classes at a maker-space before getting one - I wish I had! :)

      Delete
  6. Interesting read. These are the issues that put me off bothering with a 3D printer . Hopefully I can find a service on line to do the odd things I might need in the future instead. Good luck with progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, this is the first issue I've had which wasn't down to something I was doing wrong and I did buy a printer knowing that there would be parts that need replacement occasionally.
      That being said, if it's only an occasional thing you might want printed it's definitely not worth getting one. :)

      Delete