About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 14 August 2021

Paint Table Saturday 14 August

 


Well, with all those bamboo, kunai grass and swamp bases finished, I decided it was time to do a bit more secondary jungle.

I added trees to some of the bases yesterday then added smaller plants this morning, then some dense undergrowth (brown lichen, the coir bunches and rubberised horsehair). This afternoon I added some clump foliage and green lichen. This evening I "fixed" the clump foliage and lichen with 10% matte medium.

Tomorrow I'll get these mostly finished, but I expect that they won't be ready to spray with matte varnish until Monday.

10 comments:

  1. I did some small clump plants for my Star Wars skirmishing, and found the problem with them is knocking them over during games while moving figures around them. I assume you have foreseen this problem?

    PS: These are yet more nice pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you could probably start a jungle terrain making shop to sell any excess you make? These are wonderful pieces of terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Herkybird - thanks! The smaller (50mm) bases should be OK; the only one I'd be worried about getting knocked over is the one with a tree, but I can just be more careful around it. :)

    @ Paul SS - cheers! :)

    @ Ashley - thanks! I suspect that once I've finished this project it will be a long time before I would want to do more jungle terrain! :)

    @ Dave - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pieces are spot on Tamsin.

    Great idea to add the Matt Medium. U use it after priming and on the black undercoat but don't usually add it to anything except paint. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I use matte medium to make up my own washes using inks (the Les Burley recipe); 10% matte medium is the same thing as "scenic cement". I've never considered using it over primer/undercoat but have heard of people using it instead of varnish. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tamisin. mixing it with cement is something I am going to try as I'm tasked to do all the trees and "shwubbery" for a Fulford Gate game.

      I've never tried using it as a varnish (in combination?) bit I don't think I'd dare - just in case it goes wrong THB LOL

      Delete
    3. Just to be clear - scenic cement *is* 10% matte medium, plus a bit of flow aid to help it penetrate the scenic materials.
      As far as I am aware, they used matte medium on its own as an alternative to varnish.

      Delete