About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 15 July 2021

Wednesday Workbench 14 July


 As you can see, I've been working on the "chunky trunk" palms. The trunks have all had a coat of thinned frame sealant, been basecoated and dry-brushed. I've also sprayed all of the foliage bits today:

This evening, while we were recording the last podcast until September, I stuck the sprayed foliage onto the trunks. I'll be dry-brushing them tomorrow, then I can start work on basing them.

I've also prepared some "swamp" bases:


For these I used the large bases of Charlie Foxtrot's terrain sets 1 and 2, and one of the "oasis" bases, with the toppers from oasis, pond and small trees bases added. The bottoms and uppers have been painted brown. Looking at them this evening I decided to add some MDF washers for 25mm round bases to them, so that I can add some smaller scatter pieces if I so wish. I'll have to paint those tomorrow.

I've also made up some texture gunk for the swamp bases:


The gunk dried much more matte than this

It's a mix of frame sealant, brown paint, PVA, sand and herbs.

5 comments:

  1. Great progress Tamsin, the swamp base has a great texture to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is frame sealant, and how do you thin it? I may know it under a different, North American name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an acrylic caulking used for sealing gaps between masonry and window/door frames. You can thin it with water - you don't need to add much, just enough so it can be applied with a brush. Don't use a good brush with it though as you will need to use something like nail polish remover to clean it.

      Delete