Progress on the hills has been slow and steady. I bought some more PVA on Monday and got the XPS shapes glued onto the mountboard bases. I had to go back and re-glue a couple because the board had warped - rubber bands and some clamps sorted that issue out.
Yesterday I painted the undersides of the bases. While the paint was drying, I decided to try out the Keramistone clay in the rock moulds. After pressing the clay into the forms, I left them for a couple of hours before turning them out onto siliconised baking paper to air-dry:
This morning I used some brown acrylic frame sealant to fill and smooth around the joins between the XPS and the bases and also around some of the cuts on the upper sides. This afternoon I stuck the Keramistone rocks to some of the hills which will be "grassy":
Tomorrow I'll be painting the top sides of the hills with basecoat colours. Once that has dried, I will be splitting them into their two sets and working on one set at a time.