About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Tuesday 19 June 2018

(Not Quite) Finished: 28mm WW2 Aussie Jungle Fighters #5



I might have forgotten to mention that I'd booked yesterday and today as annual leave. Of course, that has given me plenty of time for painting more Aussies.

I finished painting the 6th batch yesterday afternoon, and got most of the basing done last night. This morning I dry-brushed the bases and matt varnished them. If they are looking a bit dirtier than previous batches, that's because I'm on a new bottle of Strong Tone which seems a bit thinner than the last bottle. That could be because the old bottle was about 5 years old and some of the water may have evaporated over time. I'm starting to get used to the new batch.

Anyway, enough blather, on with the pics!


Senior Leader, Radio, Bren

TAG, Warlord, Eureka





Junior Leaders

Eureka, Artizan, TAG





Grunts

Warlord, TEG, Warlord





The Chindits for The Assault Group seem to fit in quite nicely with the Aussies.


I've started work on the next batch - all the base colours are done. I took photos of them before the first Strong Tone wash:



This batch includes the first of the Foundry and Wartime Miniatures figures. For this batch and the next two, I'm using pairs of greens which I haven't used so far. That actually seems to have made things a little quicker as I'm only switching between two greens rather than three.

This batch will actually give me all the support options I need for now - a second light mortar team and a medic. The Major Lumley figure will probably be used as the adjutant.

I also did some priming:


These are some loose rifles, Tommy guns, packs and pouches from The Assault Group. I'll mostly be adding these to the bases of support weapon teams

And that's not all - I spent an hour or so today making tufts:


I still need to make some more sheets up, but those will be of very long (10mm) grass. I'll probably do that at the weekend.

11 comments:

  1. More great miniatures...your output puts the rest of us to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying this project. They really are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More excellence in painting! just remember that the Aussies found out that in the jungle it is not necessarily how accurately you shoot but how much you shoot. That's the reason for all the SMGs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Willie - thanks! :)

    @ Martin C - it was indeed! :)

    @ Lee - cheers! Nowhere near the output I've managed during the AHPC, and nowhere near the top few of that though :)

    @ Carole - thanks! :)

    @ Jerry - cheers! When you can only see 100 yards (if you're lucky) then automatic weapons that can lay down a lot of shots quickly make more sense than aimed bolt action rifles. The problem then is that you need to carry more ammunition :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree wit the above posts, they are lovely. How do you find the time and patience to do all these things, and sheets of tufts?
    We will have to start calling you 'Tufty'!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you start calling me that, I'll have to club you! ;)

      Being single with no dependents and no social life means that I have plenty of time outside work for painting. As for the patience, that comes from finding painting relaxing :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Tamsin,
      I would bet that sociologists analyzing current society would find that society is a lot different than forty or fifty years ago. Socializing also involves blog conversations, social media, e-mails and many other venues not available a quarter of a century ago. You don't always need face-to-face interactions to be considered sociable.

      Delete
  6. Great looking Aussies! The mix of manufacturers works really well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. These have such a great look!
    And you remind me that I really need to make some tufts as well!

    ReplyDelete