About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 28 June 2012

WIP: Saga Vikings, both batches

Well, it seems that the grogginess I was feeling on Tuesday evening was a precursor to what I've been off work with yesterday and today. Slight fever, aching joints, fuzzy vision (thankfully cleared up this afternoon), "out of it" feeling, blah-di-blah....

I wasn't able to do anything yesterday, but was able to catch up a bit this afternoon and evening once the blurry vision had gone away.

Unarmoured Vikings

Hair- base-coat and dry-brush done
Highlighting - general dry-brush with Iraqi Sand
Wash - 3:1 mix of Burnt Umber and Black grey, quite heavily thinned with water
Shields - rears dry-brushed (mix of Green Grey and Khaki Grey) and washed (Burnt Umber, thinned with water); glued onto arms; primed; rims and boss dry-brushed with Oily Steel; face base-coated with Sand Yellow





The dry-brush was too heavy in places, but the wash softened it for the most part. Unfortunately the wash may have been a touch too dark and thick, so I may need to go back over some areas of the figures. They actually look worse in the pics than they do in real life.


Armoured Vikings

Highlighting - general dry-brush with Iraqi Sand
Shields - rears dry-brushed (mix of Green Grey and Khaki Grey) and washed (Burnt Umber, thinned with water); glued onto arms; primed; rims and boss dry-brushed with Oily Steel; face base-coated with Sand Yellow









Warlords

Highlighting - general dry-brush with Iraqi Sand
Wash - 3:1 mix of Burnt Umber and Black grey, quite heavily thinned with water - only done on the warlord with two swords







I'm glad I only did the wash step on one of these - it has darkened his flesh quite badly, which I'll need to touch up when I do the detailing.

Next steps

Shield designs
Detailing
Basing



8 comments:

  1. These are coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame you wasn't happy wish the wash, I find black washes always go a bit too dark for my liking, I prefer bron myself, its a lot less harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are looking good, hopefully the dark wash is easily fixed. Like Ray I tend to use a brown wash for flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some very nice, animated poses in there! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try a light flesh and thin it down, possibly layer it on but only on the highlight points, this may well bring it back up for you. I also tend to use a brown wash.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are looking good! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice progress Tamsin. I use a brown wash and water it down. I would rather do it twice than over-do it in one hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool time to pilliage and burn...ooh don't forget rape. it is not a viking raid without it. :-P ok they are coming along nicely

    ReplyDelete