1. I've re-upped my subscriptions for Miniature Wargames; Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy and Wargames Illustrated today. As the last one comes with free Flames of War model packs and I don't play FoW this will provide me with some prizes for my blog's 1st half-birthday draw next month.
2. After work I popped down to Tower Hill for a quick shopping trip at 4D Model Shop. Mostly for odds and sods that I need for general modeling/painting but also some things for my new Secret Project (more about that later).
3. When I got home I found a reminder card from Royal Mail about a package they are holding for me. I have a good idea what the package is - an Amazon order I was meant to receive over a week ago and had just contacted them about to say it hadn't arrived yet. I'm guessing that the postman either forgot to leave a card first-time round or had tried delivering to the wrong address or that one of my neighbours accidentally chucked the card out along with the dozens of fliers for pizza, curry, psychics and minicabs that seem to deluge us every day.
I guess that means leaving home a bit early tomorrow morning to pick up the package on my way to work, and then cancelling the replacement order that Amazon have set up.
Donnington 30YW Cuirassiers
Looking at the figures last night after doing the bay/chestnut shading washes, painting the figure bases with Flat Earth 983 and painting the Yellow Ochre 913 basecoat for areas that will be painted red, I realised that I'd need to do the saddle cloths before painting anything else. Well, I could have done the horse tack first, but I'd have had to go back over to cover over the red/green/blue that would inevitably have got onto it. As the saddle cloths will be the regimental colours, the other bits in those colours (coat tails, helmet plumes, company flags) should probably be done at the same time.
So, I haven't got as much done as I might have as this was very fiddly painting to do. However, that's the fiddly stuff out of the way, and the rest should be much quicker.
Still To Do:
- Horse markings
- Gloves and boots
- Horse tack (including stirrup straps)
- Horse eyes
- Woodwork (pistol handles, flag staffs)
- Belts/baldrics and scabbards
- Metalwork - bits, stirrups, sword hilts and blades
- Touching up
Another Secret Project?!?!?!?
Well, I'm still waiting for the bits I've ordered for my original secret project to arrive, so I guess that technically this is the first secret project as I have actually made a start on it. It is something I mentioned a while ago that I ought to do, so if you go back through my posts you might find what it is. Guesses in the comments are welcome. Suffice to say that it involves a few bits I bought today and some bits I already have.
I'll be taking photos along the way and will combine them into one start-to-finish post when it is completed.