I know you've all been on tenterhooks, wondering just what it was that I was working on, so here you go - a terrain/display board for doing my miniatures photography on.
Hill sections shaped with a cheapo hot-wire cutter then glued into one corner. These were then sanded to provide a suitable surface for painting and to smooth off sharp edges on the hill sides.
Reeves Modeling Paste smeared to fill air bubbles and the joins between elevations.
Reeves Coarse Texture Gel with some brown ink added was then smeared over the whole board to add some grainy texture (and also to provide some extra hole/gap filling). Why add the ink? So that I could see where the gel had gone!
Basecoat of Galeria acrylic paint (Raw Umber)
Heavy dry-brush of B&Q Cocoa Bean matt emulsion paint
Medium dry-brush of Galleria raw umber with some B&Q cool grey matt emulsion mixed in
Light dry-brush of B&Q cool grey with a little Galleria raw umber mixed in.
I forgot to take a photo of the next step which was sticking on rocks and sand/gravel/ore mix in various places. Once the placement glue had dried, they received a sealing coat of Woodland Scenics scenic cement.
Next up, 50% PVA was brushed over the non-graveled areas, leaving some patches bare then flock (the Gold/Green mix I've used on the Sarmatian bases) was applied using a puffer bottle. After a few hours, the excess was shaken and brushed off onto paper and returned to the puffer bottle. The whole board then received a sealing coat of scenic cement. For some reason this took ages to dry fully.
Finally, patches were sprayed with scenic cement and "Meadow Grass" static grass was applied with a puffer bottle.
Not bad for a few days work, a few minutes a day. The photo above doesn't really do it justice. Now I've just got to think of where to store it and clear a space somewhere to make use of it!