I was in luck - when I got home from work this evening it wasn't piddling down so I could open my windows and do the spray varnishing. After the matt varnish had had time to dry, I did the flocking of the bases. I've decided to leave tufting until the whole army is finished (well, that is, I mean, finished until I decide to add more units) to ensure a coherent approach.
Here you go:
I've also washed the sprues of Vikings that I'm going to make a start on. They're now drying out on my workbench. Tomorrow I'll make a start on assembling them - that should be interesting as I haven't worked with plastic figures or models since i was a teenager.
First things first though - I need to work out what weapons my warband composition is going to be. I'm tempted to go down the Jomsviking route (no levies!) which should make things easier - two 8-figure groups of warriors and four 4-figure groups of Hearthguard. I can always add some bow armed levies later on if I decide I want missile troops in my warband.