About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 1 March 2023

Wednesday Workbench 01 March 2023

 



And so it begins...I've started work on the hull of the Type S. The upper side has been airbrushed orange and varnished (the varnishing mainly as protection against masking tape which I'll be using in later steps. 

Having discovered that the gloss coat I applied caused the brush-pen panel lines to run, after cleaning that up I gave it a coat of matt varnish before redoing the gloss. With that lesson learned, I gave the underside a coat of matt varnish to seal in the panel lines. I'll be airbrushing it orange tomorrow.

After the exterior base coat is painted I'll be moving on to the interiors - for that I will probably break the ship down into sections or individual parts as that should be easier, especially for painting the details.

Here are some photos of the finished interior pieces and the aft cap:









11 comments:

  1. Hi Tamsin,

    I have a feeling this is Traveller related? It looks bloody marvellous whatever!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, it is indeed a Traveller spaceship. I 3D printer it in the summer and am just now getting round to painting it up! :)

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing. Where was the STL file from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's from a company called 2nd Dynasty - their shop is on My Mini Factory.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tamsin. Off to have a look now.

      Delete
    3. Ok. So 170 parts. Does it need to be FDM, ie do the parts break down to a small enough size to print on a 13 x 24 cm bed? It's not clear on the site 😕

      Delete
    4. Yes, their 28mm ships are designed for FDM printing with the largest part designed to fit on the bed of a Prusa Mini (18 x 18 cm); off the top of my head, I can't think of any parts anywhere near that large, but couldn't vouch for whether they'd ft on a 13 x 24 bed. I could fit multiple parts on my 22 x 22 bed.
      They can be resin printed, but you would need to hollow a lot of the parts and/or add drainage holes. I know some people have done it full scale in resin. As an indication of how much resin you'd need, it took me about 3kg of filament to print (including some supports and reprints) and 5-6 weeks.

      Delete