About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 8 March 2023

Wednesday Workbench 08 March 2023

 

The photo above was taken a couple of hours ago and I've since made a very good start on all of the figures. These are for the World Cinema and Historical Drama studios.

Last week I 3D printed a fairly big collection of figures to accompany the Type S. Not all of them will get used, but I wanted to have the options. I've recently come across a technique using Mod Podge for gap filling, and thought it would probably also help to fill in the layer lines on 3D printed stuff. 

Yesterday I zenithal primed roughly half of the figures; I then gave all of the figures a coat of Mod Podge and left them overnight. Today I did another round of black/grey zenithal priming on all of the figures to see whether another coat of Mod Podge was needed - it was, so I did that, left the figures for an hour or so and then did another round of black/grey zenithal priming. It seems as though two coats of Mod Podge ws enough to smooth out most of the layer lines, so I then added a final zenithal of white.


I remembered that I'd previously zenithal primed an identical figure to one of the ones in this group, which was convenient as it allowed me to compare the with/without Mod Podge:

Mod Podge; no Mod Podge


Speaking of the Type S, I've finished all of the painting now which just leaves decals and weathering of the exterior. Given its current state, you won't see any photos until it's been submitted and published.


4 comments:

  1. Those figures look excellent! - the Mod Podge seems to have made all the difference to the figures without losing detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a surprisingly effective treatment. :)

      Delete
  2. Clever use of the mod podge, will have to remember that trick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Sorastro using it for gap filling on a model and realised that it might be just as good for filling layer lines. And it works! :)

      Delete