About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 8 September 2021

Wednesday Workbench 08 September


I'm kicking myself. Despite having just had three sunny, dry days in a row I haven't been able to finish priming and do first highlights on the buildings.

Monday - gas engineers were in to replace some of my gas pipework after a leak had been detected. Fortunately the leak was right where the pipe met the brickwork outside my flat; unfortunately it was quite a big hole which has probably been there for years, meaning that I have been venting quite a bit of gas into the atmosphere (not to mention paying for it!). By the time they were all done and I'd moved things back to where they normally sit it was too late and too hot to think about doing any spraying.

Tuesday - I hadn't slept well and by the time I was properly awake it was too hot to think about spraying.

Today - I overslept this morning but was ready and raring to go with the spraying. However, I happened to look out of my back window before starting to cart everything down to the back garden and saw that my downstairs neighbours had washing hanging out to dry on their clothes lines. Scuppered! 

Hopefully I'll be able to get it done tomorrow morning.


Rather than waste any more time, I decided to start on the one piece that was already fully primed - the water tank. I base-coated and highlighted the steel using the airbrush, then gave it a wash of Agrax Earthshade. When the wash was fully dry I drybrushed all over with a steel colour. I'm trying to decide whether to leave it as bare metal or to give it a peeling paint look.



4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about. Not been anywhere near the paint desk this week - just too damn hot in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you must bow to the weather, other times the wash! You will catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water tank is looking good so far Tamsin, shame you lost the three days, but at least you're now safe from gas explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Paul - it may have been the heat that was messing around with my sleep, but the heat during the day also made me somewhat lethargic. :)

    @ pancerni - well, I *could* have gone outside and done the spraying, but my neighbours might not have appreciated flecks of brown paint dust hitting their whites! I have caught up now though. :)

    @ Dave - cheers! I think I was always fairly safe as it was venting outside; the only risk would have been a fluke lightning strike hitting the pipe where the holes were! :)

    ReplyDelete