Well, finished for now. At some point I will probably add some tufts to the bases and I also need to glue the buildings onto their bases (the roofs will be kept as removable for access to the interiors). I was tempted to leave the more elevated buildings unglued to allow figures to be placed underneath the decking, but I did a couple of tests and there isn't quite enough headroom for kneeling figures.
Also, like you if you had read my post yesterday, I am pleasantly surprised to have these finished today.
All of these are from Sarissa Precision apart from the barn which is from Charlie Foxtrot Models.
I decided to thatch all of the village buildings. If you look back to earlier posts, you will see that I used towel strips for this. I should, perhaps, have tried it out first on one building but in my own inimitable style opted just to go for it and do them all at once. Had I been more sensible I might have achieved a better result, but they do still look good. I have learned a few lessons for if I do any thatched buildings in future:
- Soak the strips in diluted PVA before adding them to the roofs (you still need to coat the roofs with undiluted PVA).
- Make sure all the strips have the loops going the same way - down for a neat look, up for a rough look.
- For the ridge strips, cut the towel at 90 degrees to the main strips
- Cut the strips at least an inch longer than they need to be.
The first hut is from Warbases, the rest are from Sarissa Precision.
Now I need to work out what I want to do next. I think I might have a go at making some log bridges for my jungle collection.