About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 9 August 2020

Paint Table Sunday 09 August

I've been taking things easy for the past few days, but have continued with prepping my 15mm ancient Germans and Romans for "Infamy, Infamy!". All the Romans are done, I just have a few more Germans and then all the civvies, animals and terrain to do.

Speaking of terrain, as I'm going to need a few hills I decided to get some made. While I was doing that, I also decided to do some rocky outcrops to add to my Strontium Dog terrain collection.


All the gluing onto MDF bases got done yesterday, as did the carving for the rocky outcrops. Early this afternoon I carved the normal hills with my hotwire cutter. I thought it was taking a bit too long and then realised that the batteries might be low - quick change of batteries and it was cutting through the foam like a knife through butter. Annoyingly, that was when I only had a couple left to do.

I then scuffed up the surfaces of the hills using a scrubbing brush to give a little bit of texture as well as a better surface for paint and glue to adhere to. The MDF was then given a protective coat of paint and when that was dry, I flipped them and painted to foam. Later today I will probably add some patches of grit and sand to them.


On Thursday afternoon I manged to get in my first game of ADLG for months. Clive had wanted an opponent for his Parthians so I morphed my Sarmatians into an Armenian army. When I turned up with eight cataphracts and two heavy cavalry against his four cataphracts and a mass of medium cavalry, he was certain that I was going to beat him easily. I did point out that my dice rolling luck is probably just as bad as his. As it turns out, my dice luck was much worse than his and combats which I should have won with ease saw my battle lines evaporate.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent looking rocks Tamsin, shame with the hot wire cutter, but at least it was an easy fix.
    Let's hope next time the dice gods are with you, but at least you had a game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually...in Tacitus, the Sarmatians did fight against Parthians in AD35, serving alongside the Armenians, so not much morphing needed!
    (Penguin edition 'Tacitus: The Annals of Imperial Rome pp 217-218)
    Change your dice, pet! - you know it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete