About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 18 June 2022

Paint Table Saturday 18 June 2022

 


I completely forgot to do a post on Wednesday - I had photos ready to go, but simply forgot. I could have posted on Thursday, but as that would only have been two days before today...

As you can see, I've been doing something that isn't 3D printing. The figures in the photo above are the start of a Late War German platoon and supports for Chain of Command. Having assessed what I actually have and compared that against what I will need to field them as either standard infantry or Panzergrenadiers (each with an extra squad) and adding some further support teams, I've determined that I need four more MG42 teams (gunner plus loader), at least nine more riflemen, an extra Sergeant/Leutnant type, a "Panzerknacker" team and a medic. Given my preference to avoid too many repeats of the same figure I will probably be placing an order with The Assault Group for the extras.

Having sorted them out on Thursday, yesterday I glued them onto bases. This afternoon I have been adding basing gunk. I will probably do the priming tomorrow.


3D Printing

I did some further sanding at the beginning of the week:

240 grit

400 grit

800 grit

1200 grit

To be quite honest, I couldn't feel a great deal of difference in smoothness between 400 and 800 grit, and next to no difference between 800 and 1200.


As for the printer fine-tuning, I've been doing lots and lots of test prints adjusting different parameters. Here's a photo of some of them:


Although these did uncover some profile settings that would help with some of the issues I was having, I finally caved in and decided to bite the bullet and do a proper tuning. For that I needed to order a longer USB cable than the one which came with the printer and to download some terminal software. I've been running that today, followed by some test and calibration prints. I've got a few more to run, either later this evening or tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Great looking Platoon Tamsin, have you tried using grey primer on the 3D prints before sanding ? found the primer can help fill some of the lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look back a week or so, you will see that I've tried with and without filler primer. It definitely helps, but does fill recessed details as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are back to painting, I look forward to seeing some of your lovely figures painted again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I will be once I've received the extra figures I need! :)

      Delete