About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 13 November 2021

Salute 2020...errrmmm...2021 - The Loot

 Today was Salute 2020...according to all the merch. The reason for that being that the original April 2020 date being lost as a result of Covid lockdowns.

I arrived at the ExCel Centre just before 10am, but decided to finish the book chapter I was reading before going in. By that time the queue for Covid pass checks at the doors had completely gone. I think I got into the show itself about 10.20 and quickly realised that things were very different. It was still a large, stuffy hangar with crap lighting, but it was much less packed than normal. 

I heard from someone who'd spoken to the Warlords that there were only around 4,000 tickets sold, about half the normal attendance. Added to that were several wide open spaces where companies (some of them big names - 4Ground, Gripping Beast, Hasslefree) had pulled out and (as a rough guess) about 60% of the games had also not turned up. That did mean that it was slightly less warm and stuffy than normal, but the main benefit of less people and more open space was that the crowd noise was much lower than normal.

Of the games that were there, there weren't many that were particularly impressive to look at. There were also a few repeats from previous years.

I did get to have a chat with a few of the traders who I haven't seen since 2019. I'm hoping that they had good sales despite the reduced number of potential marks...errmmm...customers.

I did get to have a chat with various bloggers etc, including at the 2pm meet-up. Speaking of which, here's a photo of some of us (a few more turned up after the photo):


I'll add names at some point. For now, you'll just have to deal with the queasiness caused by the sight of Ray's bare legs!

As for my loot haul:


I didn't get everything that was on my list, but made up for it with a few non-list purchases. The bits I couldn't get at the show will get ordered online this week.


Offensive Miniatures


Three packs of rioters/demonstrators to annoy my Mega City One Judges.


Bad Squiddo Games


I had seen these in Annie's recent kickstarter, but as it was the only pack I was interested in I didn't back the campaign. Rather silly of me - I'd have saved myself a couple of quid I think.


Warlord Games


Out of six packs on my list, this was the only one they had with them.


Minibits



Debris of War


Who doesn't need more barrels and crates?


TT Combat


Yes, more shipping containers. And crates, And big generators. Sadly, most of the items on my list weren't available at the show.


Eureka Miniatures UK


My pre-order of some Papuan porters and Japanese infantry for my New Guinea project. 

"Hang on, what's that she's hiding underneath the bubble wrap?"

Nothing to see here, move along...


Donnington


Some Mongol medium cavalry, some Georgian heavy cavalry and some individual Romans to use as level 1 leaders for "Infamy, Infamy!".


And of course the Salute figure and die:



I'll probably hold off on posting my photos of the games until Monday.

38 comments:

  1. A very fair assessment. It's great to see big events back in the calendar but today was underwhelming, particularly compared to Partizan last month. Clearly quite a number of traders and gamers cried off at short notice which is a great shame given the hard work of the Warlords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shame that traders and games didn't turn up, but understandable - it just takes one person to test positive and the rest may have to self-isolate. It seems that some of the traders did give advance notice, but perhaps not enough for the Warlords to give their space to someone else.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I thought it was more pleasant than 2019. At least we got to the trade tables more easily and the games..
    It was nice to meet the other bloggers beside yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see you too - sorry I didn't get a chance to speak with you.
      The extra space and lower numbers did make it more pleasant to be there, but I can't see it being sustainable in the long term without a significant increase in ticket prices and charges for traders (and maybe a reduction in the number of free tickets for games and "press passes").

      Delete
  3. Hello Tamsin, if pre shows ticket sales were down by a massive 4000. Then revenue for the Warlords was down £40k. Surely this is unsustainable? I think the show needs to find another venue and maybe reduce in size if it is to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reduced numbers were a result of several factors - timing (several other shows around the same time); concerns about Covid; and, for EU visitors, the hassles involved with entering and leaving the UK post-Brexit and under Covid rules.
      I suspect that the Warlords will look again after next April's show.

      Delete
  4. I did not go, though I live in London, as by the time the date was set I was already booked for a long-standing gaming weekend in Wilts. I'd also agreed to meet a gaggle of friends at Warfafre in two weeks so felt the Aumumn show slot waa already taken. I'll probably do Salute next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that you didn't miss much if you are going to Warfare. Sure, a few traders were at Salute who won't be at Warfare but that's always the case.

      Delete
  5. I am going to the Battleground show at Stockton next week, and hope we are not plagued by the problems you encountered. I hope you had a great time nonetheless!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you won't see the same issues there, considering SELWG and Partizan as examples.
      I did have a good time at the show despite the issues.

      Delete
  6. The term is Saloot. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. good assessment - apologies for disappearing I had to catch a train. Most of my gaming group will be at Warfare - more accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - sorry we could only have a very brief chat in passing as you were on your way out. Enjoy Warfare! :)

      Delete
  8. Nice haul Tamsin, and was great to see you in person, it was a very quiet day overall, and didn't need to talk loudly, and actually had time for conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It was good to catch up and have a chat. :)

      Delete
  9. Great to see you. You're right it wasn't as stuffy as previous years. I read that Excel installed a better air con system so maybe that helped. It definitely felt quite though, but those that did attend made up forbit in enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Peter! It's quite likely that the AC/vent got an upgrade when it was converted to a "Nightingale" ward last year, but I think the reduced stuffiness may have been more down to increased space and reduced numbers.

      Delete
  10. I decided not to go mainly due to lack of mask wearing on public transport in London. Hopefully next year I will have had all my required boosters (I don't think Covid is going away in the forseeable future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite understandable. The percentage wearing masks on the Tube and TFL was somewhat higher than normal in the morning, but back to usual low levels when I was on my way home.
      I suspect you are right and that we will be living with it for quite some time.

      Delete
  11. Good to see you yesterday. I hung around until about quarter to five and my then my legs had had enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you again too. I left a bit before 3pm as there wasn't much point to me hanging around. :)

      Delete
  12. Very jealous. Your loot is probably great, but the vision of Ray in shorts is burned into my retina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that DaveD's "Millsbegone Mind Bleach" might help with those unwanted images! :)

      Delete
  13. It was nice to meet you, Tamsin. I hadn't thought of it, but you are right, it was a bit easier on the ears! Every cloud..

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very nice lot of loot Tamsin! Great to meet up for a quick chat once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Good to see you again after a whole 4 weeks! :)

      Delete
  15. Gutted couldnt make it. first Blogger meet up iv missed for years and first Salute missed for nigh on 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you couldn't make it. Hopefully we'll catch up at the next one in April! :)

      Delete
  16. Its great your event went off, even with restrictions. Most everything I would attend here in Canada has been delayed or cancelled as well. I think it will take a while longer for things to return to normalcy. In the meantime, it does give us an opportunity to get some more painting done to prepare for the deluge! Thanks for sharing, as its the closest I've been to a convention since this all started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only been a couple of months now that we've had shows back here, so it's been great to get to them once again.Hopefully the Canadian cons will return soon for you. :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Tamsin,
    Sounds like you had a good time. There's a couple of rules I follow when shopping at a convention:
    First, if you see something you'd like buy it. Waiting around to return and get it later frequently winds up with some other punter having bought the item you want.
    Second if you can order from a merchant for a show pick up. With the cost of postage today it is well worth it.
    Third, don't start a new project just because you see some shiny new toys. A little self-control never hurts.
    Fourth, if you see a one off that will add something to a project on which you're working, buy it. You might not see it again.
    And, once again, I hope you had a terrific time.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerry,
      Yes, I had a good time.
      Those rules sound quite sensible. I usually only place pre-orders for things I definitely want but which might not be brought to the show by the company. I also don't tend to buy "new projects" based on seeing something at a show. At least not there and then - maybe at the enxt show or online.
      Cheers,
      Tamsin

      Delete
  18. Great shopping Tamsin!
    This is a real girly report!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone should tell selwg that excel is not acceptable as a venue. Move back to se London, doesn't have to be palace, could be catford, the O2 or the valley, but £10+ to park is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown,
      Someone could tell SELWG that, but as they don't run Salute it wouldn't do any good - Salute is run by the South London Warlords. As for moving it back to SE London, the only time that Salute has been held "sarf of the river" was it's first outing in 1972 in the room above a pub.

      The Excel has its faults as a venue, but the benefits of its location tend to outweigh them - good public transport links, a venue which can be scaled up if required, secure overnight parking for traders, convenient hotel accommodation, etc. I've got no idea what the parking charges are like at the alternative venues that you suggest.

      Delete