About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday, 12 November 2022

Paint Table Saturday 12 November 2022


At the back of the photo above you can see what I'm currently working on:

These are two ship parts which I'd run off while testing print speeds. After mishaps while applying the first round of spray putty, I printed the parts they are sitting on.

Before the first coat of spray putty I did an initial sanding pass with the coarse and medium grit pad. I then did a second coarse & medium pass after the spray putty had dried, followed by re-scribing the panel lines. I think the initial spray putty coat was a bit too heavy - it took a lot of sanding and the panel lines were well and truly clogged. after washing the parts down to remove sanding dust and letting them dry completely I gave them a second, lighter spray putty coat which hasn't clogged the panel lines as much. I'll be sanding them with a medium & fine grit pad tomorrow.

I'll be using these to test different priming and pre-shading methods. One will be black primer, followed  by dry-brushing; the other will be light grey primer, heavy black wash, then dry-brushing.

3D Printing

After doing several more tests, I've finally worked out why I was getting such bad stringing. It was a result of the lower ambient temperature and/or higher humidity. I've been able to resolve it by placing the in-use spool in my filament dryer and running it directly from there to the printer:

There are only two potential issues with running it like this:

1. It's not possible with this dryer to see how much filament is left on the spool

2. Whilst it's being used for the in-use spool, you can't dry the next spool

Anyway, here are a couple of  "before and after" comparison prints:

With that issue finally solved, I've started printing the last of the 1:270 scale Traveller ships. I'd left it until last as it's huge and will take a few days to print. I suspect that I'll have to switch spools as I've used so much of the black trying to sort out the stringing. As I've got a few other bits that I want to print in black, I'll probably do those before  do the main body sections.


  1. Your continued experiments and posting of the results are a great resource Tamsin

  2. You must have the patience of a Saint working out the 3D printing bugs! I admire your dedication to this project!!!