About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 2 March 2018

Finished: 15mm Scythian Commander and Cataphracts



It took me a few evenings longer than I'd thought to finish these off, but they're done now. This unit of cataphracts and the command base (added to the light horse I painted a very long time ago) will allow me to field a small Scythian ally with my Sarmatians. And it's only taken me six years to get them done!

Cataphracts:






Commander:






I'm not sure if it really shows in the pics, but these chaps all have some fancy freehand patterning painted onto their sleeves, trousers and the saddlecloths.


I've placed an order for the additional figures that I need for the Mongols, but it will be a while before they are ready for me to start painting them. Which means I'll have to work on something else until then. the big questions is "Sea Peoples or 6mm ACW?". You'll just have to wait and see which I decide to go with.

Edit to add:

Oooh! This was my 1100th post!

10 comments:

  1. Sea Peoples for the win!, are the Peleset, Sherden, or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look strong and superb, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A second for Sea Peoples!

    The Cataphacts look great... super colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice but of colour on these cataphracts. You should definitely go for the sea people's next as this might motivate me to paint up my chariot minis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swimming against the tide, I would encourage you to do 6mm ACW. The reason for this is that with bigger battles stretching from Antietam to the end of the war you could easily field armies of several thousand figures. besides, you could do regiments of Zouaves, the 14th Brooklyn, and many varied color units from 1861 if you just wanted variety.
    have a great time no matter what you choose to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Herkybird - that's one vote for Sea Peoples. They're Peleset [so that I can also use them as Philistines] :)

    @ Phil - cheers! :)

    @ Swelter - thanks! That makes two votes for Sea Peoples :)

    @ Dannoc - cheers! That's three votes for Sea Peoples :)

    @ Jerry - and that's one vote for 6mm ACW. I have already painted up quite a lot for that project, incuding some zouaves for both sides; the ones in the queue at the moment are some extra cavalry [mounted and dismounted] and artillery :)

    And with four votes cast, the Sea Peoples win out 3:1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually still have a Philistine army, their lack of success in the field means they are now forever known as 'Silly Swines!'

      Delete
  7. You should have a look at the british museum blob horses-a-scythians-best-friend, list DNA analysis on scythian horses coat colours a lot more diverse than mongoloid ponies which surprised me. Great army to use as are Sea peoples

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have a look at the british museum blob horses-a-scythians-best-friend, list DNA analysis on scythian horses coat colours a lot more diverse than mongoloid ponies which surprised me. Great army to use as are Sea peoples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't come across that blog post, but it was definitely worth a quick read. I knew that the Mongol's horses were mostly dun but had suspected that the Scythians probably had a wider variety of colours - you'll notice that the ones here are a good mix of bays, chestnuts and blacks with a grey for the general :)

      Delete