About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Quick AAR; Getting all Medieval

When I got home last night from my practice game against Andy, it was too late to post and I was rather tired anyway, so decided to leave it until tonight.

Quick AAR (sorry, no pics - forgot to take my camera)

FoG:AM, 800pts practice match for Campaign

My army (Early Alans):
6 x 4-base BGs of Nobles (Superior, Armoured, Undrilled Lancer/Swordsmen)
2 x 4-base BGs of Cavalry (Average, Protected, Undrilled, Bow/Sword)
3 x 4-base BGs of Light Horse (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow/Sword)
1 x 8-base BG of Light Foot (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow)
Fortified Camp
4 Troop Commanders

I'd won initiative and went for Steppe, which we were both naturally happy with. I was pretty lucky with the terrain as only 2 pieces were left on the table, both in my left corner - a gully and a gentle hill covered with brush. I placed my fortified camp in the gap between these.

Andy's army - he was originally going to use Kushans for Campaign, but had been provided with a Parthian list by someone at the club, so decided to try it out:

Tranche 1
5 x 4-base BGs of Light Horse (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow)

5? 5? 5? That means at least 17 BGs in the army!

Tranche 2
5 x 4-base BGs of Light Horse (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow)

Make that at least 18 BGs

Tranche 3
5 x 4-base BGs of Light Horse (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow)

Errrmmm, at least 19 BGs....

Tranche 4
1 x 4-base BG of Light Horse (Average, Unprotected, Undrilled, Bow)
1 x 6-base BG of Cataphracts (Superior, Heavily Armoured, Undrilled, Lancer/Swordsmen)
2 x 6-base BGs of Light Foot (Average*, Unprotected, Undrilled, Javelin/Light Spear)
1 x 6-base BG of Light Foot (Average*, Unprotected, Undrilled, Sling)

* may have been Poor rather than Average - I was too busy trying to work out how on earth I'd be able to break 10 BGs to cause an army rout to catch which!

For those that don't know, 16 BGs of Light Horse deployed 2 deep makes a line just over 4 foot wide. I made a mistake by deploying all of my Lancers and Bow Cavalry in one line near the centre, rather than concentrating them on one wing, with some of the lancers acting as rear support for the rest, and the light horse (supported by bow Cavalry) out on the right wing to delay or block any flanking moves.

Yup, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I was doing a decent job of crowd control, pushing his light horse back towards their baseline where they were starting to cause traffic management issues for Andy. Unfortunately that took too much time and we'd just about reached our 3-hour play limit. Totting up the damages at that point, I'd lost 4 BGs broken and one fragmented; Andy had lost 2 BGs broken and I think 1 fragmented. If we'd had time to play a couple more turns, I think I'd have either broken or caused several of his BGs to evade off the table.

One little job I've decided to give myself for this weekend is to create some 4-base movement trays for my cavalry and light horse units, to make moving them quicker. I also need to play around with my army list to optimise it for the tournament.


CLWC Medievals Tournament

I wasn't sure whether or not to enter this, so said I would if someone could lend me a Swiss army. Well, I got offers from 2 club members and Chris brought his in for me last night (cue, very heavy bag to carry home!). So, no excuses for me - must crack on and work out an army list from the figures I now have.

I am planning to get myself a Swiss army of my own, but won't order it until I've got my 30YW army (almost) painted.


Prize Draw

For the three who I am having to post the prizes to, apologies for the delay - I didn't have any suitable mailers and only got a chance to buy some today. They should go in the post to you tomorrow if all goes to plan!



6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what game this is but it looks fun haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hindsight is such a great thing. Just have to try and avoid the same thing next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound like a great game, hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get in so much gaming and yes we're all hindsight junkies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting sounding game. And yeah I've said many a time after a game the immortal words of "Why did I do that?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeh,fighting Parthians is like stirring porridge!

    ReplyDelete