About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Tuesday 3 April 2012

3 months in!

I did think about posting this yesterday, but as the Chumbondas were finished and as I didn't know what time I'd get back from the ironclads game tonight, I decided to keep it "in hand".

So, 3 months of blogging have seen (stats at close of play on 31 March):

95 posts (32 in March) = >1 per day
106 followers (31 joined in March)
7962 page views (3141 in March)

Pretty good going I'd say!


So, what have I been up to?


  • horses for the Alan light horse have been glued onto sticks for painting (riders yet to be glued)
  • played ironclads at the club this evening - see below
  • errrmm
  • that's it


Tonight's ironclads game was good fun - scenario based on the Battle of Memphis I think, on Ole Miss. The damned Yankees had 6 heavily armed ships; the Glorious South had 5 wooden hulled ramming ships (lightly armed) and 2 reasonably well armed ironclads.

My command consisted of:
CSS General Bragg
CSS General Sterling Price
CSS Little Rebel

As this battle was fought at a bend in the river, we had to contend with the current, several sandbanks and the river bank. Unfortunately for me, the starting position of the Bragg in combination with our commander's battle plan resulted in it getting caught on a sandbank very early on in the game. She took heavy damage from gunfire then was rammed twice and would have sunk if she wasn't being kept afloat by the sandbank.

The Sterling Price managed to get a few shots off to some minor effect with its "pepperers" before succumbing to the heavy guns of the Yankee ships and sinking midstream.

Little Rebel - despite her small size, lack of any serious weaponry and damage sustained from gunfire did remarkably well and was last seen chasing down a Yankee ship which she had successfully rammed - both ships would have got swept off the table in the next turn.

My comrades did manage to do some damage to the Union ships, enough for the umpire to call the battle a draw.

10 comments:

  1. 32 posts in a month!!!! That's some going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty good going on the blogging front plus you've been able to paint loads.

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats some going. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bloging Tamsin keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Tamsin, well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Tamsin. Good to see the Glorious South dealling to the Union too. A draw is close enough to a rebel win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "that's it"

    That's a heck of a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent stuff, just ordered some Cottonclads for Mississippi-based games

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!

    @Ray - I'm certainly slightly ahead of my aim of averaging 1 post/day. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up

    @Lentulus - well, if I hadn't stuck around chatting after last night's game I might have managed to get some more prep work done

    @Headologist - cottonclads? Do you mean the wooden hulled ships with cotton bales added as bulkheads? If so, I think that's what my three were.

    @Rodger - the Yankees definitely had us outgunned and out-armoured, but only one of them had made it down-river by the end and was being rammed by Little Rebel

    ReplyDelete