About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Monday 8 October 2018

Monday Workbench 08 October

I'm beginning to enjoy this "not working" malarkey - lots of time for reading, sleeping, painting, sleeping, watching DVDs and sleeping.

I did make a start on the tanks yesterday and got the base layers done with the airbrush. Well, base layers and overall highlights to be accurate.


Today I've been making a start on the detailing. I got some edge highlighting done on the tanks as well as some shade washes into the recesses. I've also got the tracks and road wheels done, along with some wear and tear. I also made a start on the details, which have had base coats and a wash of AP Strong Tone. I'll do the highlighting on those tomorrow.


There was one small accident with the M3 Stuart - the commander's MG broke off it's mounting post. I'll need to drill and pin it before finishing the model.


Once the details are finished (and the MG repaired) the tanks will get a gloss coat (probably Klear through the airbrush) and then it's decal time. Although I might need to order decals. Unless I try hand-painting them.

16 comments:

  1. Really nice work (as usual!), Tamsin. What colors were you using for the base? Will you be doing any Italians or Germans for a ready at hand opposition? (You know you want to....)

    Enjoy your idyll. Life is too short to work, work, work.


    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Tamsin. Really nice colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice - what's the funny wire thing on the front of the M3s turret?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this kit!
    Well done
    Smashing paint job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work.missed the "retirement" post. Good luck slowing down. My plan, 11 years to go (ish), is extreme pottering about. I recommend moving to the north, don't have to go mad but imagine the fun to be had around Nottingham. Beautiful city with tonnes of lead. A nice couple of days a week working for a model shop to pay for the toys and you are all set

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too am painting little tanks, I watch your style of painting with interest!
    Glad you are enjoying your career break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tamsin,
    I would go for decals on the tanks, unless you cannot get the ones you want.
    You might be inspiring me to do some Australians for the new One Hour Skirmish Game rules. It’s nice the not working thing isn’t it?

    Cheers
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see some painting from again!😎
    Nice tanks , very realistic!🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on these tanks Tamsin.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  11. Subtle shading, I like them.

    Freehand markings are the bestest btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Francis - thanks big fella :)

    @ Jerry - I worked up from Camo Dark Green through Armour Green to a mix with Camo Light Green (all Vallejo Model Air). I did some edge highlighting with Brown Violet (Vallejo Model Colour). As these are for New Guinea/Borneo, I won't be doing any Germans or Italians to fight them :)

    @ Blax - cheers Simon! :)

    @ Dannoc - thanks! As far as I can make out, it's a rest for the cupola hatch cover :)

    @ Geordie - cheers! :)

    @ Martin - thanks! Funnily enough, I'm looking at Newark/Nottingham area for my move :)

    @ Herkybird - cheers! :)

    @ Simon J - Looking at it, I think free-handing the insignia might be the best route for me to go as that would allow me to do a specific tank.
    Glad to have inspired you to do Aussies for yourself. What scale will they be in?

    @ Mike C - thanks! :)

    @ L'Empereur - merci! It's good to be back :)

    @ Ross - cheers! :)

    @ Dave D - thanks! :)

    @ Dai - cheers! The shading might be a touch too subtle for some people, but I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I'm Stu and I'm semi retired so finally have time to get back to ww2 solo wargaming and ww2 135th and 172nd modelling.It's so good for stress!! I'll follow this blog for tips and general advice.Stu

    ReplyDelete