Friday, 11 May 2018
(Not Quite) Finished - 28mm WW2 Papuans
Almost there - just the vegetation to add to the bases, but as the long static grass I've ordered for tuft making hasn't arrived yet I decided to take some pics for you.
I did finish the highlighting on the white on Wednesday. Unfortunately, when I looked at them something seemed wrong - the off-white final highlight appeared to have totally covered the ivory first highlight making the contrast with the pale sand base far too stark. So i used a glaze/wash of off-white to tone the contrast down. But that then swamped the pale sand.
Oh well. I gave the figures a coat of Klear then when that had dried I used a slightly diluted mix of Vallejo grey and burnt umber wash (2:1) to shade the recesses. That recovered the situation quite nicely.
Last night I added the basing material - first a layer of acrylic filler to build up the level to match the figure bases. Once that had cured I stippled on some Vallejo dark mud which was dry-brushed once it had dried. Today I took them into work to give them a spray coat of matt varnish. I might need to respray the stretcher team tomorrow as there seem to be some glossy spots.
I might need to respray the stretcher team with matt varnish tomorrow as there seem to be some glossy spots - it was a little breezy outside so they must have been missed.
As you can see, I didn't bother with the eyes - I think they look fine as they are.