This afternoon saw me playing with the airbrush again. This time it was laying down the basic colour scheme on my ESU spaceships.
I forgot to take pics after the first two stages, but did remember after the third and fourth.
Step 1 - Basecoat of Hull Red
Step 2 - First highlight of equal parts Hull Red and Scarlet
Step 3 - Second highlight of Scarlet
Step 4 - Black striping
From this point on I'll be doing the rest with normal brushes. The black stripes will be highlighted with dark grey, then it's time to pick out some panels in a contrast colour (dark green or dark blue - I haven't made my mind up yet), weapons, engine glow. My plan is to do all that toward the end of the week.
After packing away the spray booth and washing out the cleaning jar, I set about cutting up an A4 magnetic sheet to stick onto the MDF bases the hover vehicles are mounted on. It was after sticking them on that I discovered that the sheet I'd cut up was actually flex-o-metal and not magnetic.
Rip the bits of flex-o-metal off the bases, cut up another sheet (checking it is magnetic this time), stick to bases.
There is a good reason for having done this. Apart from the fact that eventually I'd be doing it anyway for storage and transport purposes. You see, I decided that it would be much better to do the vehicles at work in my lunch breaks than the smaller bits. I'll be starting on the APCs.
With all that sorted out, it was time to crack on with some painting. I started with the power armour troops and have taken them to being ready for the Strong Tone wash (I'll do that after posting). As I still had some of the Luftwaffe Uniform left, I did the bits on the MAWPs and hover drones that are that colour.
With a bit of luck, and a fair wind to fill my sails, I should be able to get the painting on these bits finished tomorrow night, leaving the varnishing for Tuesday evening. I'll do the basing once the vehicles are all finished.