So, having cleared those off the paint table, I decided it was time to play.
But before I tell you about that, I received some goodies in today's post:
6mm ACW flag sheets from Baccus (I was almost out of the Union national and regimental flags, and decided to pick up some extras for both Union and CSA) and replacements from Pendraken for the two paints which went missing in the mail.
To return to play time, here's what my painting table looked like this afternoon:
Yes, it was time to have a play with the airbrush I'd bought last June. It's a cheap, crappy single action brush with a 0.4mm needle; the compressor is also pretty crap - 3 pre-set pressures, the max being 15psi. Still, it's OK for learning basic technique and probably for doing rough work like priming.
I'd avoided playing with the brush for so long because of the ventilation issues. I'd been meaning to get myself a portable spray booth for months and finally ordered and received this one a couple of weeks ago. It does have ducting so that you can vent the exhaust out of a window, but as I'm not using any solvents or toxic paints I'm using it without.
First job was to have a play painting spots and lines onto a sheet of white paper. Sensibly I chose to use the black paint for that! It did give me a good idea of which pressure settings and distances to use for different effects.
Then I took a bunch of 60x60 MDF bases and primed them; 4 each of German Dark Yellow, Hull Red and UK Bronze Green.
After cleaning the brush and letting the primer dry, it was time for the next bit of play. This was a dual-result game - testing different colours on the primers and also seeing if my idea of using wire mesh as a mask for airbrushing camo might work.
|Top to bottom - hull red, bronze green, dunkelgelb; Left to right - black green, light green, hull red, panzer dark grey, golden brown|
|Clockwise from top left: light green, hull red, panzer dark grey, black green|
|Light green, hull red, panzer dark grey, golden brown|
|Light green, golden brown, panzer dark grey, black green|
This tells me a few things:
1. Most colours work OK on the dunkelgelb primer (even the golden brown gives a subtle difference, not shown here) and the hull red primer.
2. To show up on bronze green primer, the colours need to be quite light.
3. The mesh masks could be useful for camo effects, but probably would work best as a mask for "striping" or patches rather than all over.
4. The best meshes seem to be the dots (top left) and the larger diamonds (bottom right).
In case you hadn't guessed, the camo tests are for the hover tanks and APCs. I think I know what colours I'll use on them - you'll have to wait and see for yourselves.
I'll leave you with a pic of the spray booth at the end of the session: