About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 5 May 2018

WW2 Aussie Test Figures



I've done two more test figures - a Papuan trooper and an Aussie in khaki drill.

Papuan:





If you look closely, you can see some white in the eyes

I had a lot of trouble with the final flesh highlights on this chap. I was using Brown Sand which seemed too strong, so I went back over them with the original Chocolate Brown highlight, and thinned down the Brown Sand to a glaze consistency. That looked good, but seems to have been lost after the final wash of diluted Strong Tone. I think that I will go with Flat Earth as the final highlight for the rest of the Papuans.

Khaki Drill:






For the khaki drill I used English Uniform (shirt) and Brown Sand (trousers) as the base, highlighted by adding increasing amounts of Buff. The trousers look fine but the shirt looks a touch green - I will probably replace the English Uniform with Khaki Grey when I do the Militia.

11 comments:

  1. I think they both look very nice, I like the greenish tinge on the shirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tests - I'd call them successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are terrific, Tamsin. The trooper can be left exactly as is. As you pointed out a number of Aussies did try to dye their uniforms green. In this case it just wasn't too effective leading to the slight greenish tint. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 great looking figures Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try to skimp on wash/glaze with dark skin, as I always end up with it too dark otherwise!
    the Aussie looks fine to me, a bit of colour variety in the unit will be accurate and look really good!
    You are really a good painter, aren't you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are spot on with the palette Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great. I had real trouble trying to do the whites of the eyes on some dark skinned chaps I attempted recently. It seemed like the right thing to do, but was a brush stroke too far for my skills. Luckily my figures were yelling as well so I could do their teeth nice and white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you nailed it :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ John - thanks! I am tempted to keep it in the mix for some figures when I do the Militia :)

    @ miles - cheers! :)

    @ Jerry - thanks! That's a great excuse - I'll happily use it :)

    @ Ray - cheers! :)

    @ Herkybird - thanks! The "glaze" was for a highlight, it just didn't work in this case :)

    @ Lee - cheers! :)

    @ Michael A - thanks! :)

    @ Sun of York - cheers! I normally avoid painting eyes, but these chaps will need at least something. I might have to keep practicing to get it right - I've heard that mixing the white with flow aid helps, just a dab in each corner :)

    @ Stuart - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tamsin, Regarding doing eyes, there's a small trick to getting he look I think you're after. First use either white or off white and run a horizontal line across where the sculpt is for the eyes. After it dries take a small amount of black and center it as a line in the middle of the white. It will give you what you would see at twenty or so yards - the whites in the corners and the black in the middle. I would recommend a very fine point artists black pen for the pupil.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

    PS - try it on a few sample figures first. Try just painting flesh tones on the face and then doing the eyes.

    ReplyDelete