About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 24 May 2018

Thursday Workbench 24 May



Quite predictably, I've got a reasonable amount going on at the moment.

On Monday evening I somehow managed to get all of the base colours painted on the next batch of Aussies and the initial shading washes:


I went with a different colour (Beige Red) for the base flesh tone, just to see how it comes out. It should give them a slightly ruddier look hopefully.

Looking at the figures at this stage, it does make me wonder whether I could have got away with painting slightly lighter base colours and then using the Strong Tone. That would have saved me a lot of time and effort. But you lot wouldn't have let me get away with that of course.


Last night I started work on the two Sarissa village huts. I'd primed them white and was going to paint and then shade them but thought I'd see how they'd look just using washes.


I think they've actually come out rather nicely. I'll probably use some more washes (greens and dark browns) to introduce some different shades in areas.


As you can see, I have glued down the base frames to some EPVC bases and painted the basing texture that has been applied so far. Once I've finished shading the wood, I'll glue the steps into place and add basing texture to the rest of the larger base. The huts can then be glued onto the frames once the painting and drybrushing is done. Later on I'll add some foliage bits, probably at the same time as I do that for the figures.

11 comments:

  1. Excellent progress this week. I am enjoying these a lot. Have you considered adding some of the Foundry Burma stuff to your ranks?

    Loving the building I agree that washes was the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had your dedication and focus Tamsin! I had planned to construct a Cromwell tank for 'What a Tanker' but just slept this evening instead! (busy day at work!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good.like the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous progress Tamsin, I do love a Sarissa product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work - as usual. have you experienced any warpage by applying primer directly to the unfinished wood on the Sarissa buildings? I have been quite concerned about something like that happening to the buildings I've accumulated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Simon Q - thanks! I am considering adding some of the Chindits with Tommy guns as I'm rather short on those for the '42 campaign :)

    @ Herkybird - cheers! Since Monday, I've only been doing odd little bits like the buildings that don't need too much focus. Good luck with the Cromwell :)

    @ Lee - thanks! :)

    @ Michael A - cheers! They do make nice buildings :)

    @ Jerry - thanks! :)
    No warpage from the primer but I did need to hit the lugs with an emery board as the paint had made the fit too tight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just sending a comment to try to get notifications

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a notification that you had posted! That's a relief!

    ReplyDelete