About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 12 October 2018

Friday Workbench 12 October

I decided to freehand the markings on the tanks. After a bit of research to get them (just about) right, I sat down this afternoon and carefully painted them. Yes, there were some errors which had to be corrected.

Once they were all done, I used the airbrush to give both tanks two thin coats of Klear, then a coat of matt varnish. Here is how they looked at that point:



Matilda II








This one uses the markings of an actual tank - "ASP" from 1 Troop of A Squadron, 1st Australian Tank Regiment (the regiment changed names a few times during WW2).


M3 Stuart







This represents a tank from 7 Troop of B Squadron, 2/6th Armoured Regiment. I couldn't find any information on actual names given to Stuarts, so made one up. I went with B Squadron as they were (with C Squadron) involved in the fighting at Buna and Sanananda.


I decided to take these photos before the tanks got muddied up. I've done that this evening, but the mud effects need to dry overnight before I decided if they need painting or washing.

12 comments:

  1. Good attempt at freehanding the letters and div signs. I have long since given up trying and use waterslide decals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed Tamsin! The Matilda is my favourite tank of the war and you've done a lovely job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good details for this scale !
    Bravo !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they look great. I'm still agonising over whether to paint or use decals for some 15mm vehicles I have underway (currently chickened out and left them blank).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some tanks. Great work Tam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work - personally, I always paint rather than use transfers (old fashioned, don't use that American decals word). I just think that, even if looks a bit 'rougher', the finished article is more 'mine'. A worry you don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see the markings painted. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just a superb job on these Tanks. It looks like the cover of Tamiya Magazine. I have a picture some where of me siting in an Australian Matilda from the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work on these two tanks, Tamsin! I'm tempted to get a Matilda - had a Tamiya 1/35th one when I was a wee lad - messed up the painting horribly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Francis - thanks! :)

    @ Herkybird - cheers! I did look at available decals, but none of them were correct for the units I wanted to represent, so freehand was the only option :)

    @ Millsy - thanks! I do quite like the Matilda II - I might have to get a couple more :)

    @ L'Empereur - cheers! :)

    @ Sun of York - thanks! I can understand not wanting to freehand on 15mm vehicles, but decals shouldn't be too bad to do :)

    @ Carl - cheers! Who doesn't love them some tanks? :)

    @ Rob - thanks! I think painting the markings myself was a good exercise; much more of a personal effort :)

    @ Dai - cheers! :)

    @ David - thanks! :)

    @ Dean - cheers! :)

    @ Scotsgrey - thanks! I've since found a source of names used on Aussie Stuarts, but I thought "Bogbrush" was amusing :)

    ReplyDelete