About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 18 October 2018

28mm WW2 Aussie Tanks

As noted in a previous post, I had taken pictures before muddying them up. This post is to show them with the mud.















 


The "mud" I used was a mix of Vallejo Dark Earth texture paste, brown ink and some "scrub mix" (static grass, clump foliage, foam flock and chopped lichen) that I'd prepared a while back. This was applies using a brush. After applying it around the tracks, sides and the lower hull, I then went a bit stupid and started lightly stippling mud further up the tank. I did that slightly too much and I'm not overly happy with the result, but the only way I can get rid of it is to strip the tanks back to bare resin/plastic.


I did finish painting and washing the batch of Aussie infantry last night. I took a couple of pics this morning before brushing on a coat of Klear.




I've also primed the 15mm tanks black today. My plan is to get the main colours down with the airbrush tomorrow. If I have time, I'll also try to paint the details, but that might be a job for Saturday.

10 comments:

  1. Great work with the mud Tamsin, very real and I should know living in a field in rural Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work with the weathering, the entire collection is quite striking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good mudding... 😋😉 without mud on the fingers !
    Women touch !😇

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't stress the mud - it looks very good - and in that environment you could have used three times as much and it would still look realistic... very good..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the muddy tanks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how it feels to have overdone weathering!
    It looks like the tanks have been wading through very deep mud, or some mud in a column, where mud could have been thrown up by previous vehicles. If you are not happy, strip and repaint. Tough to do but you will be happier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Francis - thanks! Living in a muddy field? Have you become a scarecrow? ;)

    @ Dartfrog - cheers! Glad you like them :)

    @ l'Empereur - thanks! :)

    @ Steve - cheers! I could definitely have got more mud on the tracks and around the lower front hull; it was more the stippled splatter that I was unhappy with :)

    @ Stew - thanks! :)

    @ Herkybird - cheers! I've decided that I can live with how they look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite like the weathering, Tamsin. These things can get filthy, especially in wet weather. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used Vallejo textured paint myself and not does it dry hard. I like the weathering on your models myself. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Curt - thanks! It was especially wet and muddy in New Guinea from what I've read :)

    @ Lee - cheers! Once it's dry, it's stuck there forever ;)

    ReplyDelete