About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 17 October 2018

AAR: Sea Peoples First Outing (ADLG)

The best thing about not working is that I am available for afternoon gaming. I had my first game for several months on Monday afternoon, which was the debut for the Sea Peoples army I painted up earlier this year. They were facing Libyan Egyptians.


Initial deployments. With hindsight (and ain't that a wonderful thing?) my big mistake was not spreading out across more of the table - that hit me hard later on. I should have stuck the medium foot from the central command as a reserve behind the heavy foot (and able to move to cover their left flank) and put most of the medium foot from my right flank command into the front line rather than having them in reserve.

The terrain deployment wasn't the best. The rolls for position meant that two items had to be discarded as they wouldn't fit into the sector they should have been in. that left a road, a field (the brown patch) and a village (the grey patch).


I'd lost the initiative, and my opponent moved forward quickly to close me down.


I forgot to take pics for a turn or two. I'd lost two light foot in the meantime. Here you can see that I've charged in, with mixed results.


My chariot command was suffering the effects of shooting from the Egyptian chariots and bowmen.


My heavy foot charged forward to fight some crap medium cavalry which was blocking them from attacking the enemy heavy foot.


An almost equal fight - all impetuous medium swordsmen, but the enemy were "elite".


Some dreadful dice rolls from my medium foot charging light chariots in the open saw the predictable damage marker appear.


And more damage markers sprout among my troops. the enemy heavy foot have now charged into mine, who didn't really seem to notice. Unlike my medium foot who are mostly dying. On my right flank I detached the javelinmen with the intention of getting them round to make a flank or rear attack on the Egyptian chariots.


More of my troops are disappearing or taking damage.


Not looking good for my chariots.


Definitely not looking good for this chariot.


My heavy foot on the other hand are doing a splendid job. 


Chariot and general killed.


And you'll be chocked that the chariot which had been hit in the flank and the rear also died.


The heavy boys are doing what they're best at.


Unfortunately by then enough of my units had either been killed or damaged that I reached army break point.

I had terrible dice throughout most of the game. It didn't seem to matter what the dice were for -command pips, shooting, melee or rallying - they were almost all bleedin' awful. Unlike my opponent's dice which were consistently rolling 5s and 6s.

It was a good game though and it was great to get back to gaming after such a long break.

10 comments:

  1. Great looking game Tasmin, but if you use Simon Millers rules, "To the Strongest" you wont have to worry about rolling those dreaded dice any more.
    I hope you have better luck with your next battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those damn dice gods, good batrep Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see this period played, nice batrep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice AAR, Tamsin. I'm glad you shook the cobwebs off and got back into the fray. Now for those Aussies....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking minis and game

    As the great Philospher Fernando once said “It is better to look good than roll good”. Or words to that effect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed it despite the outcome and the terrible luck with your dice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you have got all your rubbish die rolls out of the way, next time you will end up marching on Thebes, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Luck is both fickle and cruel.

    Lovely looking game! Playtime seems to be scarce these days all around...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Guidowg - Thanks! Knowing my luck, I'd have all low cards when I need high ones and high ones when it doesn't matter if I have low ones ;)

    @ Francis - cheers! It's my usual dice luck - mostly crap, but with occasional flashes of being good :)

    @ Phil - thanks! :)

    @ Jerry - cheers! It was good to get back to gaming. More Aussies on the paint table and I'm hoping to get a game in with them soon :)

    @ Miles - thanks! Hmmm, I think that philosopher chap must have been predicting me ;)

    @ J Womack - cheers! I'm used to losing and having terrible dice by now :)

    @ Herkybird - thanks! If you look back across all my AARs, you'll observe that my supply of crap dice is inexhaustible ;)

    @ Dai - cheers! Lady Luck can be fickle as well as cruel? I've only experienced the latter... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job taking advantage of the not working to get gaming! No matter who wins or what the dice do. 😀

    ReplyDelete