I finished painting the 6mm ACW last night, varnished them and glued them onto their bases. Today I've been doing the basing using Ian's method. I switched the Sandtex "bitter chocolate" for B&Q "Cocoa". With hindsight, I might have pooled the paint too thickly and I also might have left the base covered with sand for too long before tapping off the excess - it took a very long time for them to dry to the point where I could dry-brush the texture. After I've posted this I'll be flocking the bases and adding the flags.
While the bases were drying, I took the opportunity to do some other things. Firstly some essential brush cleaning. Then I sorted out my 15mm NSL panzer grenadiers and glued them onto bases. As the ACW bases still weren't dry I decided to assemble and base the 15mm NSL power armour troops as well. Very fiddly, resulting in much swearing and sticking-together of fingers.
Simon and I have opted to use multi-figure basing for Gruntz as it speeds up play with larger forces. Basic grunt squads are on rectangular bases; squad attachments (other than SAWs) are on 20mm hexes; specialists are on 30mm hexes; heavy weapons and small vehicles are on 40mm hexes; leaders are on 40mm octagons.
|Panzer grenadier squads; squad attachments and leaders|
|More panzer grenadiers and specialists|
|Heavy weapons; fan bikes; more specialists|
|The power armour troops|
So, this week I will be priming these before moving on to painting some more ACW up. I'll be sticking with the Union for the moment. One thing I will need to do is to order some more flag sheets from Baccus.