About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 11 May 2014

Sarissa City Block Buildings and Another "Oh Dear...."

I promised yesterday that I'd post pics of the two buildings I've finished painting, so here they are:

CB64





CB86





I have made good progress on the third building, but it will take another couple of evenings to finish. My big quandary at the moment is deciding on the colour to use for the door and window frames. I'm tempted to use different colours for the two properties in the building, maybe green for one and yellow or red for the other.

I've finished painting the cops. Now I've just got to wait for the weather to be less yucky so that I can hit them with the matt varnish spray.



As for the "Oh Dear....", well, wanting lots of cars for my Gangster project (for the wise guys themselves and as scenery/cover for games) I faced a choice of shelling out loadsamoney for kits from Blue Moon and such like which might never get made up and painted or I could spend abitlessloadsamoney buying some through Amazon or I could spend alotlessloadsamoney by signing up for E(vil)bay. I managed to find a seller with a vast range of Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" available as "Buy It Now". So I did. About 24 assorted cars, vans and trucks (including a fire engine!) should be hitting my doorstep in a few days' time.

22 comments:

  1. Great buildings, I was boring and painted my frames white.
    For vehicles I found the yesteryear models a bit large, but very acceptable. Lledo models cost an average of £2 from evil-bay and my local tabletop Sat/sun fayre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have to buy some firefighters now. With axes to smash the beer barrels!

    To say nothing of a multistorey car park...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good progress! Now that your flunkies have a motorpool and urban hideouts,you'll need a warehouse or even a still for manufacture of illicit good. A warehouse with a still on a wharf! Great for smuggling across Lake Michigan and fitting loose ends with concrete footware! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The buildings came out nice. When buying Lideo or Yesteryear toys remember they are toys and make to fit the box they come in and not a particular scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I need Die cast toys "Boo" fairs are the best places. (no postage to pay and you get them immediately!) Yes I am impatient. Personally I prefer the colour of the fenestration on the second building. But they both look good and will grace any table top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work on the building. I'm looking forward to seeing you complete gangster board.
    Anyway good luck with the models!

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two well painted beauties Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buildings look great Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mixed colours is good. Spending less is even better

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice buildings, Tasmin. Ebay rewards the lucky shopper :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you planning of modelling a car dealership as well then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't beat toy cars! Those buildings are looking utterly splendid. Shows how important a clever colour scheme is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work on the buildings Tamsin. Looking forward to seeing the whole Chicago board together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff Tamsin. I hope the vehicles you snapped up off ebay are the right size for you. Most car sized ones tend to be fine it tends to be trucks and big vehicles that can be bit off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Building look great, but sounds like you need a multi storey car park now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are excellent. Though I think CB86 is my favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks all!

    @ Zabadak - from pics I've seen, the Yesteryear cars fit quite nicely with larger figures like Blue Moon, Copplestone and Pulp Figures. Just as well that they're what I'm using.

    @ Edwin - firefighters? Now they'll be a challenge to source :)
    Did they have multi-storey carparks in the 20s?

    @ David - a warehouse is on my list for future buildings. And a still. And a dockside area.

    @ Robert - I am aware of that. I ordered a couple of Model A vans as well last night, but I now suspect they may have been from the I-75 series rather than Yesteryears, so will be too small.

    @ Clint - no boot fairs around me that I know of and I doubt they'd have Lledo or Yesteryears. Both ebay sellers I used last night were selling with free postage for UK.
    I think the blue on the CB64 building was a bit strong.

    @ Monty and Carl - it will be a while before the rest of the buildings are ordered, let alone assembled.

    @ DaveD - dealership? They're gangsters - they'll just take them from outside someone's house!

    @ Legatus - I think for future buildings it would be best for me to go with less bold colours for the window frames and doors, but I think I've got the rest about right.

    @ Simon - that's what I'd heard.

    @ Michael - have you and Edwin been conferring? ;)

    @ Mark - I prefer it too. I think it's that the window frames and doors are more subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer you to the learned answer at http://diplomatist2.blogspot.com/2014/05/i-need-bigger-garage.html

      Delete
    2. I thank you for the information. Hmmmm, I guess that means I need to get to work with some MDF, saws, knives, glue and other stuff to build one

      Delete
  18. They're both fantastic - a great collection and still so much you can add.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a look at the fire engine this morning. I feel that you'll find the scale disappointing if it's the same one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find out when it arrives I guess. If it's not the right size at least I'll have a nice shiny toy to display somewhere.

      Delete