Did I say that I'd finish painting the second batch of "retinue warriors" by the weekend? Oh well, best laid plans and all that. As it happens, I got rather distracted by Gaslands and have spent a fair bit of time watching YouTube vids, downloading files and printing things out.
And that, I must confess, is why I have only just finished painting and varnishing them today. I'm sure you'll agree that the wait was worthwhile:
I'll be starting work on the third batch for the "retinue warriors" (officers, standard bearers, musicians) tonight.
Once the "retinue warriors" are done, that just leaves this little lot to paint:
As I'm on leave this week, I think I should get a fair way to finishing this army before I have to go back to work.
For Gaslands I'm going to need some terrain and what better than a load of shipping containers. So I decided to have a go at building some out of foamboard. And made a few mistakes. Such as cocking up measurements, not thinking about how to "frame things...
Having thought I'd learnt lessons from the first set, I then proceeded to make a second set. And cocked up on the measurements and framing again, just not quite as badly.
And then I made a third set, this time of the short 20 foot containers. The measurements were right this time, but I did mess up on the framing again.
I had a go at adding some plasticard strip framing for one of them:
What a faff that was. I think if I ever make any in future I'll have to come up with some other way of framing them - maybe a card fold-around?
Anyway, with those mistakes made (and soon to go in the bin)I thought I'd take a look to see if anybody on the Gaslands group on Facebook has done any paper terrain files. And they had. A few downloads, a bit of printing and cutting later and I have twelve short shipping containers ready to use.
To limit the bulk for transporting to the club, I opted not to glue them at this point. However they are a bit light and there's no way to fix them in place so I cut some suitably sized pieces of foamboard to insert in the bottoms:
|Container unfolded for transport|
I also printed and cut out some gates for one of the scenarios:
Again, these aren't glued.
I did print a set of templates and tokens out on card instead of paper, then got them all cut out:
If we decide that we do like the game, then I might invest in some acrylic templates and tokens.
And a shot of all the "terrain" I've worked on this weekend, when I should have been painting figures:
Edit: - Just spotted that this is my eleventy-eleventh post!