Wednesday, 9 October 2019
Finished: 28mm WW2 British Para Jeep Crews
That was a quick turnaround. I started painting these yesterday afternoon and finished them this afternoon. I even took plenty of time out to do other things like reading and watching painting tutorials on YouTube.
I used this batch to try out a couple of alternative colours for webbing, camo patches and the berets. I've actually decided to stick with the original webbing colours (but add an extra highlight step) and the original camo patch colours, but have come up with a better mix for the berets - the previous one looked a bit too "pink".
1st Corps Vehicle Crew
1st Corps Vehicle Passengers
Artizan Vehicle Passengers
I made a bit of a mistake when prepping two of these, cutting off the feet, as it means they can only be fitted inside the vehicle. I also need to find some weapons to add into the empty hands - I think I have a few somewhere.
I've removed the pins from all the figures. My original plan had been to leave a few mm of pin so that they could be added to the jeeps without being fixed. I'd even drilled holes into the jeeps to accommodate this; unfortunately not in quite the right positions! The 1st Corps crew and passengers have been glued into place:
I then decided to see how many figures I could fit into the jeeps:
As you can see, five per jeep seems to be about the limit. I might be able to squeeze six onto the Warlord jeeps which are slightly larger (and with less chunky crew figures than the 1st Corps ones). If you think those numbers are crazy (and riders sitting with their legs outside the jeep are even crazier), then you really should loo at various photos and movie clips - I've counted eight paras on one jeep (and a four or five in the trailer behind it).
Tomorrow I'll be making a start on painting the main force. I've split them up by weapon type and the half of each type will be done in each of the two Denison base colours. Once they are all done, I'll sort the infantry into sections, platoons and support teams.