As you can see, I finished off the armour, added weaponry and then stuck a barrel (from Ainsty) on top and used some strands of electrical wire as hoses leading from the barrel to the flamers. The weapons are all from the Baneblade sprues.
OK, I'll admit that while I was out I did happen to pick up a few more cars:
|Two repeats, in different colours to ones I have already|
|...and 5 new car models. Or 4 new cars and 1 (pick-up) truck|
That takes the count to 20 new car models; 4 left on my allowance.
OK, that's enough for that aside, back to business. This afternoon I got everything set up for airbrushing. I decided that it would make sense to do my airbrushing technique try-outs alongside working on the road-sweeper. I'll be working on two car bodies for these.
After letting the primer cure for a while, I moved on to doing the road-sweeper's basecoat and the first steps on the test cars.
The basecoat on the road-sweeper was a mix of plate-mail primer, black paint and then some chrome to brighten it (I'd added too much black) plus a bit of thinner.
For the test cars, the basecoats were these inks:
The silver ink didn't come out very well, possibly because of the white primer. In both cases, the metallic ink was thicker than I'd anticipated and I had trouble spraying it (even with added thinners). I'll have to remember to dilute it and use the Revolution (it has a larger needle).
I'll be doing colour graduations on the test cars, using semi-transparent inks. Over the gold the gradient will be yellow/orange/red; over the silver it will be light to dark green.
Piccy with the first stage of the gradients:
You might be wondering what use this technique is. Well, it's good for flame effects when combined with vinyl masks. using semi-transparent colours over the metallic base gives an interesting sheen.
I might get the rest of the gradients done tonight; I'll certainly get the next stage done.