About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Tuesday 31 March 2020

Tuesday Workbench 31 March



With the SS squad out of the way, I had to make a decision last week about what to paint next. There were several potential projects, but I decided to go for one which I had been somewhat dreading - a 28mm Wars of the Roses army for Art De La Guerre. Dreading? Well, just doing the chaps in plate armour, to be honest.

I did make a bit of a boo-boo initially - I decided to start with a batch of 24 figures. That was fine for things like the flesh, leather, wood and the small amount of cloth showing, but was too much for the metal. I also had a bit of a 'mare with washing and highlighting the plate and I'm not totally happy withe the end results.

I decided to switch to a smaller batch of eight figures next. That was much easier. I also switched how I did the plate armour. The results were much better, but still not quite right. It was also a bit of a waste doing the flesh, leather, wood and cloth on such a small batch.

I've just started the flesh on the next two batches of eight. I do have another batch of 6 figures for this board, but they are all in closed helms. I'll be doing the armour (trying a different wash scheme) in the smaller batches, then going back to do leather, wood and cloth on all three batches together.

4 comments:

  1. This should be a completely different change of pace for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its weird how apparently simple things can be a real pain!
    It may be time to trawl the You Tube for tricks to use on Plate armour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to seeing your results Tamsin, as plate can be tricky. Have you tried adding a shadow with blue glaze ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Michael - it certainly is a change of pace. I'm not putting as many hours a day into doing these, so I have time to catch up on reading. :)

    @ Herkybird - it would be so much easier if they wore grungy armour, but polishes plate? ;)

    @ Dave Stone - I did try that (unsuccessfuly) with the first batch, skipped it for the next batch, then added some blue back into the wash (and thinned it down quite a bit) for the remainder - seems to have worked OK for them, but might need a touch more blue in the mix. :)

    ReplyDelete