About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 26 January 2012

On the workbench - Sarmatians

Well, as I haven't posted pics for the last couple of days I made sure to take some this evening for your delectation and salivation. So, either read through my ramblings first or skip straight down to JPG goodies.

My day:

I guess I should have realised something was up last night - I'd dozed off while watching TV at one point and had some trouble getting to sleep. Well, when I woke up this morning my sinuses were clogged, my throat was rough as ****, my body didn't want to move and I was feeling wiped out. Yup - I've got a heavy cold. After taking some cold medicine and having a hot drink I crawled back into bed for a couple of hours.

When I got up properly, I realised there was no way that I would be able to do anything requiring more than a little concentration - no minis painting today. Instead I focused on doing little bits that needed doing:


  • added texture mix to bases of the armoured lancers I'd just finished
  • painted some more bases up ready for figures to be glued on
  • glued the horses for my light horse and command groups to painting sticks; super-glued riders to horses, lances through hands and dragon standards to lances
  • glued camp followers and camp paraphernalia to painting sticks (some super-gluing of cooking fire bits)
  • primed everything that hadn't been primed yet

Anyway, that's more than enough verbiage from me - here's the piccies!

Everything that is not yet complete:


The armoured lancers en masse:



The stuff that gt stuck on sticks and primed today:



the "Other Cavalry" - primed, "whitewashed" and brown magic-washed:


The bad boys above are next up for painting - aaaahhhh! Horses! Lots of them!!
*glugs whisky to dull the horror*

Tomorrow's "To Do" List:

horsey basecoats and washes
bridles, reins and other horse tack (if time)

3 comments:

  1. You seem to be quite a prolific painter, prepping all those figs. I know that it is the logical way to do it, ie prep dozens at a time, but more than half a dozen and my brain starts to hurt.Can`t wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope you'll get rid of your cold fast.

    Anyway, that is a bloody lot of cavalry, *gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Geminian - not as prolific as I'd like - I'm still way behind schedule and the cavalry has taken longer to paint than I'd originally expected. I think I need to trim back on the colour schemes a bit for the rest of the army.

    @Seb - I hope the cold clears quickly too - feeling a lot better today. As for the amount of cavalry, well, it's highly unlikely that you'll be meeting them all on the table due to the 650pt limit for the competition.

    ReplyDelete