About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 2 July 2021

Finished: Banana Plantation

 


You'll be pleased to hear that my banana plantation is finally finished. In the photo above you can see the terrain tiles populated with banana plants; 144 of them in fact (there are another 16 plants which aren't in the photo - they'll be used on some scatter bases).


You can easily hide a platoon in there, maybe even a full company.


There are three sizes of the plants. My first batch had three short, 57 medium and twenty large ones; the second batch were all large ones.

This is how the plantation breaks down for storage and transport:


The two trays will fit in a 9L Really Useful Box; for the tiles, all but the 30x30 one will fit in a 4L RUB (a 9L RUB would also fit the smaller tiles for the tree plantations as well).

Edited to add link:  The banana plants are from Everest Models

This afternoon I have started work on the terrain tiles for the tree plantations:

First set gunked, painted and dry-brushed - these have dirt tracks

I forgot to take photos of the first set as I completed each step, but I will do that for the second set:

Second set gunked...

...and painted

In the above photos you can see that I've added splotches of texture gunk rather than adding it all over the bases - I realised from the banana plantation tiles that most of the texture gunk would be hidden by herbs, scrub or static grass. I've also painted them tiles (the gunk dried quite quickly). I'll drybrush them later and add herbs. Tomorrow I will "fix" the herbs and add scrub (and maybe some turf for patches that will have static grass. I'll be working on both sets at the same time, which will mean a bit of juggling between my paint table and dining table. 

During drying down-time on these I will be working on some 40mm foliage bases to slot into the larger washers you can see on the tiles. There are twelve washers, but I will be doing sixteen inserts.



9 comments:

  1. The plantation turned out great Tamsin, and great progress with the new tiles, thanks for the explanation on the large washers as I had wondered as I looked at the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. That is a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious where you got your banana plants from? And when will we see rubber plantations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those banana 'forests' look excellent- the removable trees not only makes them more transportable, but will allow your 'Aussies' some tank support?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Dave - thanks! I'm not claiming this for "Season of Scenery" as the bulk of it was finished before the start of the month! :)

    @ Chris - cheers! :)

    @ Doug - I've edited the post to include a link to where I got the banana plants from. Rubber plantation will be a while coming - I need to tart up a load of trees for that [it will use the same tiles as the coconut plantation]. :)

    @ Herkybird - thanks! It would allow tanks to move through in support of the infantry now I think about it. I did it for ease of storage and transportation, but it does have other benefits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tamsin. I've done a bunch of jungle, (https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/2020/01/jungle-boogie-building-malaysian-jungle.html) but no plantations as yet, so any inspiration and sources is very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a Google Image search for banana plantations to see how they looked.
      Your jungle bases look pretty good. :)

      Delete
  7. gosh they look fabulous! No snakes though that is good!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      ps The snakes are hiding in the patches of scrub! ;)

      Delete