About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 28 August 2019

All The SYW Russian Infantry

Well, all the ones I've painted so far - I've still got the Observation corps and a few more converged grenadier regiments to do, but all of the line regiments that fought during the Seven Years War are now painted.

Anyway, if you want to know what 39 regiments of infantry look like together:


Of course, I forgot to include something to indicate scale - the block is 42cm (16.5") wide by 27cm (10.6") deep; they would just about fill a sheet of A3 paper.

Working left to right, the regiments are:

Front Row - converged grenadiers, converged grenadiers, 1st Grenadiers, 2nd Grenadiers, 3rd Grenadiers, 4th Grenadiers, Apsheronskiy, Arkhangelogordskiy, Astrakhanskiy, Azovskiy, Butyrskiy, Kievskiy, 

Middle Row - 2nd Moskowskiy, Muromskiy, Narvskiy, Nevskiy, Pskovskiy, Riazanskiy, Sankt Peterburgskiy, Sibyrskiy, Smolenskiy, Suzdalskiy, Troitskiy, Viatskiy, Vornonezhskiy

Back Row - Bjeloserskiy, Kazanskiy, Kegsgolmskiy, Ladogaskiy, Nizhegorodskiy, Nizovskiy, Novgorodskiy, Permskiy, Rostovskiy, Schlusselburgskiy, Tchernigovskiy, Uglitskiy, Vologdaskiy, Vyborgskiy

All the figures are 15mm from Essex Miniatures with cast-on flags that had to be hand-painted (not easy to do so the regimental symbols are somewhat impressionistic).

For the Observation Corps, I still haven't decided whether to go with actual Obs. Corps figures in the dragoon boots, or to stick with Essex and paint the gaiters as if they were dragoon boots. It does depend on the figures - Blue Moon and Old Glory 15s are much larger than the Essex so wouldn't fit in so well; Irregular are about right for size but rather "Meh!". I'll probably stick with Essex; the other advantage with doing that is that I know the figures, so won't have to make any changes to my painting.

11 comments:

  1. Impressive masse of troops Tamsin, well done. If you were doing Russian Nappys you've got them in a mostly historical formation too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corking display. You need therapy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find with Lancashire games figures, that painting the gaiters as boots works splendidly!
    You have a lot more Russians than me, and they look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive group shot Tamsin, That's a lot of troops you've amassed so far

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top work Tamsin, I'd stick with Essex minis myself, no-one will notice or have any idea.......apart from anyone who reads this of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive collection, I know your pain. Your standards are well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive picture!
    So many figures!
    That's a great satisfaction for you, We hope so! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. An impressive pile for sure. What does it all weigh you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Peter D - cheers! :)

    @ Martin C - thanks! Painting is therapy though! :)

    @ Herkybird - cheers! I might try a couple of test figures to see how it looks before I make a decision :)

    @ Dave Stone - thanks! And this is just the infantry. There are 33 regiments of cavalry (9 of them Cossacks), plus artillery, commanders and wagons as well :)

    @ Ray - cheers! I'll probably stick with Essex - depending on paint tests :)

    @ Dartfrog - thanks! I'd forgotten that you'd done Russians - Eureka, Blue Moon and Old Glory 15s? Nice figures, but I'd have trouble fitting 3 cavalry onto a 30x30mm base :)

    @ L'Empereur - merci! It is satisfying to have the all the line infantry finished :)

    @ Neil S - cheers! :)

    @ Aquahog - thanks! Not sure how much they weigh, but less than the 33 cavalry regiments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that’s truly impressive Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete