About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 24 June 2018

Sunday Workbench 24 June



Quite a few bits on the go, as you can see.


Packs, Pouches and Weapons


As I noted in my last post, these were painted yesterday and I spray varnished them this morning. These are for adding to bases of support weapon figures.


Far East Village Buildings



I wasn't happy with how these had turned out with the sepia washes over white primer - they looked far too new and clean. So yesterday I airbrushed them with a thin, patchy coat of pale grey-green then gave them a rough, patchy wash of Agrax Earthshade. They look much better now. There was a fair bit of overspray onto the bases so I quickly re-painted and dry-brushed those.


Tufts



I had another go at making tufts with 10mm static grass yesterday. they turned out a bit better than my previous efforts but it took four or five passes with the 10mm grass. And then another pass with shorter static grass (I used the "sweepings" from previous sessions) to fill them out.

I think the problem is that the mesh of the sieve I'm using is too small to allow the long static grass to easily pass through. I've ordered a different applicator from War World Scenics which should work better - that's meant to be delivered tomorrow.



I decided to apply a couple to the base of one of the test figures (plus a couple of shorter tufts) to see how they looked. They're not as bad as I thought, but it took a lot of work to get them to that stage.


More Aussie Jungle Fighters


I've made good progress on this batch - base colours, first washes and flesh highlights all done. I should get the rest of the highlights, the second washes and Klear coat done over the next two evenings. Wednesday evening will see me doing the basing, then on Thursday they'll get matt varnished.

As these will be the last Aussies for now, once they're done I think it's time to start tufting and flocking the bases of all the figures I've painted so far. That might be a job for the weekend.

And then it might be time to do some jungle terrain making.

6 comments:

  1. Love the buildings! The Aussies are some of the nicest yet as well, I just about finished a few tanks, after a week!, your output puts me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the added weathering to the buildings, that has really worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really like how those huts turned out. Great weathered effect, that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Herkybird - cheers! My output goes to show that I have no life to distract me! ;)

    @ Neil Scott - thanks! :)

    @ Michael A - they do look much better now that they've been "aged" :)

    @ Lee - always, always :)

    @ Curt - cheers! I'm glad I took the time and made the effort to weather them - they looked far too shiny and new before :)

    ReplyDelete