About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Monday 28 August 2017

15mm SYW Russian Casualty Markers

I said I'd finish them today and so I did. As I expect them to get slightly rough treatment, I gave them a coat of Klear/ink to shade and protect them, then an extra coat of Klear (no ink) for additional protection. Once that had dried I airbrushed on a coat of matt varnish then flocked the bases.

And...piccies!






You will have observed that I didn't bother to paint the white cuffs. Well, as they're only casualty markers I didn't feel any great need to do so.


Once those were all done and photographed, I decided to do a quick test. A few weeks ago while I was browsing in the pound shop I spotted something rather cool on the HotWheels racks - some Star Wars bits. Among the fighters (which look to be X-Wing scale...) and some 15mm-ish scale speeders there were a bunch of First Order Star Destroyers. Hmmm, £1 for a Full Thrust scale Star Destroyer? I grabbed all five they had out on display.

However, the paint job looked rather plain so I though about how to bring out all the relief detail. I'd been meaning for a while to try out oil washes and this provided the perfect excuse. So, I bought a tube of water-mixable Paynes Grey oil paint.

Today i finally got around to doing the trial. I got a bit of paint from the tube onto my brush and then mixed in some water until I was happy with the consistency. I then slathered it over one of the ships, left it for a short while and then started wiping off the excess from the surfaces with a damp paper towel.

Here are the results:

Top side

Underside
I'll probably do another wipe-over, but it has definitely brought out the details quite nicely. I'm not sure whether to do a white dry-brush once the oil wash has dried.

Yes, five Star Destroyers

Paint bottle for scale - the ships is just over 10cm long
Now, does anybody know where I can get a load of suitably scaled TIE fighters from?




8 comments:

  1. Great job on the casualty markers and what a find in the pound shop they look great.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive speed as usual and great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Per your question about tie fighters, real scaled ones for that size Star Destroyer would be tiny. You could do worse than getting the Star Wars Armada Tie fighters, I think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what rules are you painting the 7ys war figures for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Stuart - cheers. Pound shops are great for finding unexpected treasures :)

    @ Dannoc - thanks! :)

    @ Michael A - cheers! :)

    @ Herkybird - I might have a look at the SW armada TIEs, but suspect they'r a little too large. I'm wondering if there might be something on Shapeways?

    @ Ray - thanks! :)

    @ Urban Bunny - for King of the Battlefield, but usable for other rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice markers but do you expect so many casulties in your games???

    ReplyDelete