About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 11 September 2016

Colours 2016 - The Lootz

Yes, it's the swagbag post from yesterday's trip to Colours. I did go with some purchases in mind, some potential purchases and enough money for any unintended ones.


The full haul

An unplanned purchase

The book was unplanned as were the average dice; the steel bases and the resin cargo bits were planned

The Pulp Figures pack was unintended; the GZG stuff next to it was a "see how they look" plan
 The GZG stuff - 2 packs each of the two new NSL codes (Jaegers) and the two new ESU Naval Infantry codes. They also had a new pack each for the OutRim Coalition and the Islamic Federation - I didn't buy those though. Mr Tuffley is going to be expanding all those ranges over the next few months it seems.

Bit of a SNAFU with these Essex cavalry...
The SNAFU was that I aksed for 4 packs of PNR23 and 3 of PNR24 which were Napoleonic Cossacks (to add some variety to my SYW ones - their costume and equipment hadn't changed much). When I unpacked my bag on getting home I discovered that they'd mistakenly given me PNB23 and PNB24 - Napoleonic British Hussars. So, I'm going to have to sort out exchanging them.

Static grass and a Flock Box from Warpainter

Who is the evil criminal genius of Salutesville?*
 *Postie, obviously!

Contents of the Flock Box package
The Flock Box wasn't a planned purchase as I hadn't realised that the company who produces them was going to be there. I had previously seen a number of reviews and was considering buying one, but wanted to see it for myself before doing so. My luck was in (although my wallet's luck wasn't, although for £35 it wasn't that drastic). That included a bottle of "tackifier" glue for making tufts, although that was a special deal at the show.

This morning I went out to get some batteries and some silicone paper to test it out. It turns out that the greaseproof paper I bought wasn't the siliconised variety. However, I'd also bought some parchment paper with and without foil backing. They were siliconised and seemed to work well, especially the foil-backed one. Why do you need siliconised paper? For making tufts of course - the silicone allows you to peel them off for sticking onto bases. I also tried it with PVA on a figure base - it worked very well for that too.

Now I just need to buy myself a plastic-handled metal sieve and I'll be all set to mass produce tufts for myself.


27 comments:

  1. Nice haul. The flock box looks very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul, Tamsin. I'm interested in the book so would be curious to hear what you think of it. Currently I don't think that it's out in an ebook format which is a shame as I don't have the patience or wallet for shipping a hardcover over the pond.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also curious about the Flock box thingy. We'll need pictorial evidence if it makes your hair stand on end like a static electricity generator. I predict a Bitish Nspoleonic army appearing before a swap for Cossacks!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I obviously saw the flock box and it's demo. The effects are good, but it looked very messy. Maybe this was just through constant use at the show. I think this was a lot of people's concern. Interested in your opinions after use. The guys on the stand seemed very nice and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent lootz, and some nice of list stuff to... Tufts are on my list of things to do this winter so interested to see how that goes for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great haul Tamsin, I've always said that Postie was Evil Hooded Minion Master.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book's good. I think the most useful part are the details of each pallet or a variety of colour effects. There's always something new to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent loot. Love that shirt! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very tidy haul - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very tidy haul - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some very interesting loot. making your own tufts sounds good and (at least for me) messy in the extreme.

    As for the figure how many are destined for the Analogue Hobbies painting Challenge this time? (My guess is all the GZG for a start).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice collection of products Tamsin. I purchased Gomez's book last year, well worth it. Great shirt BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The T Shirt is one of many available from Rapier Miniatures.

      Delete
    2. I took a picture of their stall at Battleground - not sure if the link will work https://4.bp.blogspot.com/--zvdsvOop2I/V4FYRNRONcI/AAAAAAAAaL0/hXgveKuNJ6oC-fSyBU4pE0Q81O3FomlygCLcB/s320/PICT1650.JPG

      Delete
  13. Good haul from the show Tamsin! I guess you will just have to find time to paint everything.
    I used to have problems with wrong packs from Essex too, I never had a any problem getting them exchanged, just the post cost and delay involved!
    Have you considered selling them on E-Bay?

    ReplyDelete
  14. great haul. Interested in seeing how the flock box works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treasure trove you have. I had a quick look at GZG but decided to leave a purchase till warfare in November.but some great new releases. Reminds me I haven't put my loot picture up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Epic lootz (as they say in some quarters), lots there to keepyou busy for at least a couple of nights.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice haul and a very cool shirt....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the tee shirt. Looked for it on line and came up empty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this link: http://www.rapierminiatures.co.uk/

      Delete
  19. A good haul you have there, should keep you busy pre-challenge

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a nice passel of treats Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very nice loot pull.

    I really like the hooded Pulp Alley figures. Hurry up and paint them, so I can steal your paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Must stop loking at what other people but ... it gives me "urges" ;)

    ReplyDelete