About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Saturday 10 September 2016

Colours 2016 - The Games (Loads of Pics!)

This morning I got up early to head down to Newbury Racecourse to attend Colours. I haven't been for a few years for a number of reasons, so it was about time. Because I'd got up so early, I was actually there before doors opened. Luckily, the organisers had the good sense to walk along the queue taking entrance money to speed up the flow when the doors opened.

As soon as they let us in, I headed straight up to the first floor to the GZG stand as the Evil Mr Tuffley ("He who pitilessly produces new shinies to extract money from poor gamers") had announced new shinies that I simply had to buy - stocks would of course be limited so it was a case of get in quick before they all go.

Once that little bit of spending was done, I popped up to the second floor where all* the games were located to take pics before it got crowded (and before my bag got too heavy for me to easily take photos. But enough blather - pics of the games:


Battle for Balooistan (Wargames Association of Reading; Black Ops)




Battle for Kyoto (Solent Wagames Club; Sharpe Practice)



Fishguard 1794 (Tring Wargames Club)




Siege of Portsmouth 1642 (Solent Wargames Club) - 2mm siege campaign game







Battle of Cedar Mountain (Loughton Strike Force?; "Picket's Charge" rules - available soon)





Battle of Halfway (Southbourne Tabletop & Boardgamers; Space Vixens From Mars)


I was too early - no ships on the table!
Russo-Finnish War (Loughton Strike Force)




Rivet Wars (Braintree Wargames Group)


Caught at Kut (Adrian Shepherd and Friends)







Franco-Prussian War (Oxford Wargames Club; 6mm)



28mm Ancients (not listed; Warlord rules)




Heroes of Normandie (Diceni Demo Team)



Operation Monster (Abingdon Wargames Club)



Frostgrave (Maidstone & District Gamers)




Dvina River, RCW (Naval Wargames Society) - see David Manley's blog for more info




Courage Behind Enemy Lines (Petersfield Black Hole Wargamers)


This was an interesting participation game for six players who each got a single character - a commando or a spy. I played in one game and had the spy. Our group managed to achieve six of our eight objectives, although one of our commandos did get killed. I achieved my character's objective in the second turn - acquire the uniform of a senior German officer - I managed to sneak up behind him, stun him with poison, tie him up and take the uniform with my 4 actions all whilst remaining hidden. I also managed to heal one of the commandos - sadly he undid my good work and got himself shot again.


Reno's Attack on the Little Big Horn (Liverpool War Games Association; 10mm)




Blurry pic - the 7th Cavalry must have been charging too fast for my camera!


Pandeminion (Reading Independent Wargamers)



Tankette - early WW2 (Huntingdon & District Wargames Society; 1:35 scale)




Dux Bellorum (Steve Deeprose)



Brotherhoods of Mars (South London Warlords; Warhammer 40K)





Mau Mau Uprising (Skirmish Wargames Collective; 54mm?)



Battle Over the Trenches (Wings of Glory Aerodrome)




2nd Coronea (Society of Ancients)



Achtung Gringo! (Crush The Kaiser Wargaming)






Operation Overlord (Crawley Wargames Club)



The tournament area (Guildball, Imperial Assault, Bolt Action)



Phew! That's a lot of pics! Once I'd taken those I did some shopping, had lunch (chatting with an Australian who hadn't been to a UK show before), played in the commando game, did some more shopping, looked back in on a few of the games, did some final shopping then headed home.

I'll do a lootz post tomorrow.

26 comments:

  1. Many fine looking games. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pics! Looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really great looking games. 9.30am chat on the AHC forum tomorrow if you are up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the game pics! Looks like folks put a lot of work into doing some fine looking games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some impressive looking games there! Thanks for sharing pics.

    BTW, what new stuff does GZG have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun! Can't wait to see all the booty you garnered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a decent day's entertainment. Seem to be a high percentage of small scale (6mm figures!) and skirmish games on and naval and air games seem to be a standard at shows nowadays. All to the good - how many 28mm Napoleonic battles can you watch? Now to the loot . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the. Pics, a lot of years since I've been to the show.
    A lot of diversity which is nice to see with lots of 'little' scales making an appearance together with the smaller games, but I guess that's the direction the hobby is taking.
    Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many good looking games and such variety! If only we were spoiled by such down under...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous pics. Some great looking tables to view and participate if you wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos - lots of eye-candy & fun looking games!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always good to see different shows and games from those shows.

    It may be wrong to pick a favourite but I would like to see more of the siege of Portsmouth Game

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great looking tables! Thanks for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to have met you briefly yesterday Tamsin. I hope you enjoyed yourself, got all you wanted from the traders and had a good trip home.

    All the best
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gutted I didn't see you there, Tamsin. Would have been nice to have simply said "Hello" :-) Thanks for the piccies. I actually found the show a little quieter than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for posting, so really nice looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great range of games there.

      Pity about the batteries.

      I used to carry spares but nowadays I take less pictures.

      Delete
  17. @ Jonathan - cheers! :)

    @ Michael M - thanks! I did have a good time :)

    @ Martin C - cheers! I'll join the AHC chat sometime :)

    @ Herkybird - thanks! Some of those tables were fantastic :)

    @ Desert Scribe - cheers! GZG have new packs for NSL Jaegers, ESU Naval Infantry, OutRim Coalition and Islamic Federation :)

    @ J Womack - thanks! Booty pics later today! :)

    @ Gary - cheers! Only one game each for 2mm, 6mm and 10mm, a couple of 15mm, three at 54mm; the rest were 28mm [apart from the naval and air ones!] :)

    @ Graham C - thanks! It was a good range of periods covered. There weren't many "small" miniatures games, certainly not compared to other shows :)

    @ Millsy - cheers! Definitely a good variety of games :)

    @ Simon Q - thanks! Some of those tables had had a lot of effort put into them :)

    @ Pawn Cocktail - cheers! The eye candy was good and the participation games all looked fun :)

    @ Clint - thanks! I'd like to have seen more of that game as well - hopefully they'll take it to some more shows :)

    @ Gordon - cheers! Certainly some lovely looking games on show :)

    @ Simon J - thanks! Good to meet you too :)

    @ Blax - cheers! I'm sorry I missed you too - I seem to have missed a few other bloggers who were there. Maybe next time we should try to arrange a meet-up? :)

    @ John - thanks! The games were indeed worth taking pics of :)

    @ Jim - cheers! It's my own fault - I should have charged it up before I left home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by our Franco-Prussian game. Honoured to have my arm appear on your blog! ;-) Great pics - especially for those of us who were too busy running games to actually get round the show!

      Chris

      Bloody Big BATTLES!
      https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
      http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  18. Some very nice looking games...look forward to seeing lootz..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing - enjoyed my virtual trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful variety of games! I like the signs tagging "demonstration" games where bystanders are welcome to come up and ask questions. Very friendly. Never been to a wargaming show, nice to see that they welcome newcomers and are happy to answer questions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like I missed a great show. Thanks for sharing the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a lot of effort made by those clubs and people. It's really great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good variety of gmes there, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pictures and report. I only got to see a few games once I made my purchase's as my youngest boy was getting tired after that but it was a good show. Sorry I missed you

    ReplyDelete